Chapter 6.2

Without responding, one of the men walked over to the brown mound on the floor and nudged the Priest with his foot. Cris got a sickening feeling in the pit of his stomach that the Priest was dead, but then saw that he had responded to the nudge. The man backed away, giving the Priest some room.

The robed figure rose unsteadily and looked around, dazed from the impact with the wall. When he caught sight of Cris, he backed away, terror evident in his trembling movement. After a moment, he noticed the two men in black clothing and he froze, apparently recognizing them. His eyes darted between Cris and the men. He said something to Cris, but Cris didn't understand the language. With one more glance at the two black-clad men, the Priest passed them and fled down the hall. He didn't look back.

The man who had nudged the Priest bent down to pick up the pulse gun from the floor. He placed it inside his coat and turned toward Cris.

"Who are you?" Cris repeated, still shaking. He took an unsteady breath. Why didn't they help me? He looked the two men over and tried to assess their minds, but found only an impassible void. They appeared to be wary of Cris, but that was understandable after what he had just done. Stars! What do I do? I can't outrun them. He took another breath. "Why were you following me?"

"Are you Cristoph Sietinen-Talsari?" the man finally asked.

"That depends. Are you here to kill me, too?"

The two men exchanged looks. "No, we're not here to harm you," the second man said.

"Did my parents send you to find me?"

"Have you ever done that before?" the first man asked, ignoring his question.

Cris was about to make an indignant remark, but stopped himself. "No." He looked down. "I don't even know what 'that' was." What's happening to me?

"No, your parents didn't send us," the other man said after a slight pause, coming to join his colleague. "If you come with us, we can explain everything."

Cris shook his head, finding it increasingly difficult to remain calm. "After what just happened, I'm not in the mood for vague answers. And I'm not going anywhere with people who stood by and did nothing while someone attacked me! Who are you and why are you here?"

The first man nodded to the second. They each pressed their jacket lapel, which activated a projection of their credentials.

Cris examined the holographic images hovering in front of him. His eyes widened. The TSS!

"I'm sorry, we're not allowed to intervene in matters regarding the Priesthood. We're with the Tararian Selective Service," the first man said. "I'm Agent Jarek and this is Agent Dodes." He gestured to his partner and then deactivated his ID.

The Priesthood is so powerful that not even the TSS will stand up to them. Cris crossed his arms. "What do you want?"

"The TSS is here on our own accord," Jarek continued. "We were deployed to your family's estate on Tararia to speak with you, only to find that you were missing. Your parents probably have their own people looking for you, but it looks like we found you first. Just in time, it seems—especially considering what you just pulled off without any proper training in telekinesis."

Cris swallowed hard. "And what was 'it'? I have no idea how..." What if I can't control it? I could hurt someone—Thom, myself... And why does the Priesthood want me dead? Everything was going great. I fit in, I was normal...

"We're not the best people to answer that," Jarek said.  

"Then what do you want from me? You still haven't told me why you're here." Is there anyone I can trust?

Agent Jarek studied Cris. "We're here regarding your future."

Cris tensed. "My future?"

"The TSS has been following you with great interest for the past few years," Dodes said. He looked over to Jarek, who nodded. "We would like to extend an invitation for you to train with us."

There was a time when that would have been a dream come true, but now... "I'm not sure what to say."

"I know this comes as a surprise," Jarek responded. "But, the TSS feels you have great potential, which is only evidenced by the abilities you've demonstrated today. I'm sure that our superiors can deal with any reservations you may have. If you'll accompany us to Headquarters, our High Commander can answer your questions." He glanced at the spot where the Priest had been. "And, we can offer you security."

Cris looked down. He might not be so lucky if the Priesthood came after him again. And I still have no idea why they would try to kill me... I don't want to give up the freedom I have now, but I need to learn about these abilities if I want to truly protect myself. "What would I have to do?"

"Just gather your things and come with us. We have a ship waiting on the other side of the port," Jarek said.

Cris nodded. "The Exler's back this way." I have absolutely no idea what I'm getting myself into.

Cris led the way to the Exler. He left the Agents at the foot of the gangway and went in to gather his belongings. He only had a handful more possessions than when he had left Tararia, but it didn't feel right to leave it all behind. He sighed. He had to tell Thom he was leaving.

Cris found Thom in the flight deck, reviewing the ship's inventory. "Thom?"

The captain looked up. "What is it?"

"Thom, something's come up." Cris swallowed, feeling a sudden heaviness in his chest. "I've just been offered a training opportunity with the TSS."

Thom searched Cris' face. "Are you accepting?"

Cris nodded. "This is something I have to do."

The captain sighed and stood up. "When?"

"Right now. I'm sorry."

Thom nodded, processing the loss of his travel companion. "I understand." He took Cris' hand, shook it. "I always suspected you were destined for greater things. I hope you find what you're looking for."

Cris looked down. He might not know my real name, but he always saw me for who I am. "Thank you for everything. I couldn't have asked for more."

The captain smiled and patted Cris on the shoulder. "Best of luck, Cris."

"Thank you, Thom. You too." Cris turned to go.

"Oh, and here." Thom grabbed his Fastara deck. "Take these."

Cris smiled. "I'll teach everyone who'll listen."

Before he could change his mind, Cris exited the flight deck and hurried down the gangway to meet the waiting Agents. With only his single bag slung over his shoulder, Cris suddenly felt bare and alone.

Jarek and Dodes led Cris away from the Exler toward their TSS transport ship. The Agents were unlike anyone he had met before. They moved with a sort of elegance, as though they were one with their surroundings. Even their tailored black uniforms, which were casual compared to attire of the Tararian Guard, projected a sense of regality, making Cris feel like he would be underdressed even while wearing his finest suit. There was also an energy about them that he couldn't quite identify—a magnetism that made him have difficulty looking away.

Over the last year, Cris had become used to blending in and downplaying the authority that had been ingrained in him through years of tutoring. Now, even in the most refined state he could muster, he still felt insignificant compared to the Agents. How long before the TSS changes me, too?

---

Like what you read? Remember to vote!