Chapter 1.3

Marina and Cris arrived at the palatial outer administrative office for the Head of the Sietinen Dynasty. The attendants and advisors throughout the room looked to be working furiously at various touch-surface computer consoles and desktop holodisplays, though Cris had doubts about how much was actually being accomplished.

Cris spotted his father. He, like all Sietinens before, had the distinctive chestnut hair and striking cobalt eyes that defined the bloodline; carefully arranged marriages ensured the continuation of these traits. Cris knew his mother's Talsari heritage was nearly as pure as Sietinen, but the prestige of Sietinen was paramount.

Marina led Cris toward the elder Sietinen, who was absorbed in conversation with two advisors. To Cris' displeasure, Marina halted just beyond earshot of his father's conversation, leaving Cris to stand idly while the exchange concluded. How typical, after all the rush to arrive for the meeting, Cris would still have to wait. He glanced over at Marina. She returned his gaze with a decidedly hostile smile.

After a few minutes, the advisors were dismissed and Reinen Sietinen-Monsari turned to look Cris over silently. Gray touched his temples, bringing a sense of distinguished age to his handsome features. He wore a deep blue suit embellished with silver accents, the finest available. "Marina informed you of the change to your instruction, I presume."

"Hello to you, too, father," Cris replied. "Yes, she told me."

Reinen nodded. "Let's go into my office."

Cris followed his father into a smaller room off to the right. Reinen sat down on a sleek brown couch near the center of the room and gestured for Cris to sit in one of the upholstered chairs across from him. Behind them, a desk was framed by an arched window that stretched nearly the width of the room, looking directly over Lake Tiadon. The sun was beginning its descent, shadows emphasizing the features of the lush landscape.

"Why the sudden end to my lessons with Marina?" Cris asked as he sat down.

Reinen's eyes narrowed the slightest measure. "You've already learned enough to guard yourself. There's nothing further to explore."

"Would a little object levitation really hurt anyone?"

His father leaned forward, stern. "The laws apply to you, too. We're supposed to be setting an example as leaders."

"Right, by supporting the policies that make it illegal to learn about oneself."

Reinen grunted. "Maybe you should take the matter up with the Priesthood."

Cris was about to brush off the statement, but there was a seriousness in his father's tone. "What do you mean?"

"I received a communiqué this afternoon. The Priesthood has requested a meeting with you."

Cris froze. "Why?" Stars! Did they find out about my telepathy lessons? His pulse spiked. Marina's instruction had always stayed within the governing restrictions around telepathy, but if they suspected Cris had crossed the line into telekinesis, there was no telling what the meeting might entail. He gulped.

"The representative only stated that they want to interview you as soon as possible." Reinen shook his head. "Whatever it's regarding, it's not the kind of attention we need."

Cris was well aware how rare it was to be singled out as an individual. The Priesthood of the Cadicle oversaw all Taran affairs, governing even the High Dynasties and their respective corporations that were the pillars for inter-planetary society. The organization served as the critical moderator to regulate the Taran worlds, controlling laws, the flow of information, and the application of new technological advances. Even lending the tiebreaking vote on any matter brought before the six High Dynasties, the Priesthood's authority was complete and binding. But, given its roots as a formerly theological institution, the Priesthood had been unquestionably viewed as Taran society's moral compass for generations.

"Did you set an appointment?" Cris asked, holding his breath that it wouldn't impact his departure plans.

"No. They wanted the interview to take place on their island, but I refused. The representative said he'd get back to me with alternate arrangements."

Cris let out his breath. No matter now. I'll be gone by morning. Cris felt his father's eyes on him and looked up.

"You're getting older, Cris. People are beginning to take more of an interest in you."

"You mean dynastic heads are trying to marry me off to their daughters. I'm still way too young to have any interest in such matters."

His father sighed. "One day soon you will have to."

"But not yet."

"Cris, I— I worry about you."

Why does he pretend? At least Mother just ignores me. "Is that so? Forgive my incredulous tone, but you've never expressed much interest in me before."

Reinen seemed taken aback, his brow furrowed. "What makes you say that?"

Cris shook his head. "It doesn't matter."

"No, Cris, if something is bothering you, I want to know about it."

Cris sighed. "Now, when you say you worry about me... What do you mean—my political future? My future as the leader of this dynasty and as an executive of SiNavTech?"

"Well, of course. You seem disinterested."

That's because I am! "What about my feelings as your son?"

"I always assumed you were content."

"Content"... What about feeling loved? "Well, I'm not. I can't say I ever really was."

Reinen was silent for a long time. "I'm sorry."

Cris shrugged. No he's not. He wouldn't have done anything differently. "No matter now."

Reinen's expression was impassive.

"I know I'm not the one you wanted to be your successor." Cris' words hung in the air.

Reinen said nothing, but looked down, his face contorted in an attempt to hide his anguish.

"If there's nothing more, I'll return to my studies."

There was the slightest shake of Reinen's head. "No. There's nothing else."

That was your last chance to salvage any of your parental dignity. Without another word, Cris left his father's office and went directly to his living quarters.

Cris passed through the lounge area of his suite and stepped onto the generous balcony. A calm breeze ruffled his hair, cooled by the lake below. He breathed in the pure air. For a moment, he felt a twinge of regret. But, he knew staying on Tararia wouldn't do anyone good.

The idea of running away from his dynastic life first came to Cris more than two years before. He had been secretly preparing for the past six months, and almost everything was staged. All that remained was getting off the planet.

Cris returned to his bedroom and activated the touch-surface workstation on his desk. Settling into his chair, he began what had become a routine exercise of hacking into the secure central system for the Sietinen estate. Though not particularly easy, part of Cris' grooming had involved study of the complex system, so he knew shortcuts through the security blocks.

Once inside the system, he created an alias under the guise of a high-ranking guard and cataloged it in the central computer. Using the alias, he checked out a transport vessel at a secluded port on the southern side of the Sietinen compound. It would be waiting for him at midnight on the twenty-five hour Tararian clock. He also set up a standard maintenance reboot of the central security system to correspond with his departure. If he timed it right, he could slip out undetected and be well on his way before anyone knew he was gone.

With the final pieces of his departure plan in place, Cris admired one last sunset out his bedroom window. By daybreak, he'd be in space. 

---

Like what you read? Remember to vote!