Chapter 4 // The Orphanage

The Orphanages usually had a sad aura. But not this one. As soon as the four of them got near to the house they could hear squeals and laughter.

Alana's heart lightened up and she smiled to herself. She loved little children. Little did she know that Jace caught her smiling to herself and he smiled to himself upon seeing her smile.

Ayden told Alana that he shall get the boxes and be inside later. She didn't wait for Stella or Ayden or Jace and made her way in.

Jace saw the eagerness in Alana's eyes and made his way in after her not bothering to wait for Whiny Stella. Yes. After the excruciating hour he had decided to call her Whiny Stella. 

As soon as they came into a small room they were greeted with an elderly woman.

"You must be Mr. Felix. Hello sir I'm Mrs. Woodley the keeper of this orphanage."

"Hello Mrs. Woodley. We are delighted to make your acquaintance. These are my assistants Stella and Alana. This man here is a friend of Alana's, Ayden."

"Hello everyone." Mrs. Woodley waved at all of them in a friendly way. She was an old caretaker of the orphanage in her late fifties.

"The children are very excited to meet you all. If you all would please make your way down the hallway into the garden at the backside they are all playing there." 

Mrs. Woodley showed them the way to the backyard which happened to be the source of all noises. Alana took one box from Ayden seeing as he could not carry all the candy by himself.

When Jace saw Alana carry the heavy box, being a gentleman he offered to take the box from her.

She scoffed and told him in a playful manner," And let you take all the credit for this?"

Jace's playing retort was stopped when Stella wrapped her slim hand over his blinking in an innocent way asking,"When will we leave here? I already don't like this place. It's so small and dirty. Not to imagine the children who are playing in the backyard would be full of mud."

Jae stopped and so did everyone else. He turned to her with coldness clearly evident in his eyes. He snarled at her that made shivers run down everyone's spines.

"You want to leave. Leave. You cannot just come here and insult these innocent children. They sure as hell aren't filthy. It's you who is filthy. You are fired and be sure to find your own way home from here."

Stella stomped her feet and yelled profanities without considering the fact that they were at an orphanage not somewhere else. She finally made her way out and by that time Jace had calmed himself down.

Alana carefully put her hand on Jace's shoulder and tentatively asked him,"Are you alright?"

He grinned at her,"Never been better. I've always wanted to fire her."

He then turned towards Mrs. Woodley and told her,"I'm sorry for the interruption Mrs. Woodley but I can assure you that now there won't be any disturbances. Can we please go see the children?"

She smiled a soft smile at him,"Yes lets go."

As soon as they made their way to the backyard. they could see that there were ten children divided up in two teams and an interesting Frisbee match going on between all of them.

Mrs. Woodley called them," Children we have a few visitors today. This is Mr. Felix, Alana and Ayden." She pointed at each of them respectively.

"They have come here to meet you guys. I'll leave all of you alone. I have some work to complete and if anyone needs me I'll be there in my office."