Chapter 12

Willow's P.O.V    *Three weeks later* 

Tick. Tock. Tick. Tock. The clock on my wall fills the empty silence that fills my room and what seems like my entire life. Up until now my life has withered away in crazy chaos with never ending noise and action fulfilling  every day with non stop business. But finally, finally the sweet bliss of silence is here within the comforts of my room. The pounding headache that seems to always be there subdues for a moment and my body is filled with relief. 

Papers, book reports, notes, all piled into one. School has taken the weight of the world and set it on all of our shoulders. Or at least mines, and it's not that I'm struggling, I remember everything, it's just a lot of work and it's driving me crazy. I wish I had an outlet, someone to call and feel this sweet relief of the weekend with. 

But my friends, they're, well they're not really here. Noah and Adrian seem to be doing well with each other. They spend their time with each other, getting into trouble, living their life carefree and I've sort of stopped walking alongside them. Let them run at their own pace without the extra baggage and they don't seem to mind that I've pulled back into my own world of seclusion. 

My heart feels better for it. I screwed up big time when it came to those boys and I'm glad that they're not exactly in my life. No one can get hurt this way, things can stay the way they've been as long as I could remember they were. 

And I can continue on telling you all about how happy I am and how great this silence is but it's all a load of bull. In fact, I love the crazy chaos, I am chaos. I like silence but I like the noise better. I want to laugh and sing and smile with them, and not just the boys for bloody sake, I want a friend. A girl friend. I want to obsess with someone over the books I read and the way they make me angry. 

Books are the only way I can live. I feel the anger, the joy, the sadness, the impending doom of life and love through books. Books make my chest fill with fear, with short breaths of suspense. They make my heart thud in my chest and butterflies stream through my torso. 

Like Noah. 

God damn it Willow. 

But it's true. He makes me feel alive and all the emotions that come with living. I've been a blank void of emotion until he marched right into my life. But I don't want him to be the reason I feel so alive. 

So I grab my red sweater and throw on my old, beat up converse and make my way to the school. 

I know it sounds rather odd, I want to escape the silence so I'm going back to school? Well it's like nine o'clock at night so I'll be breaking in, and I'm going find the piano they have there. 

The school is huge, tall, about 4 stories worth of classes, all brick, strong and built like a prison. I walk slowly up to it looking around for the cameras, skillfully and ninjally avoiding them until I get to a first floor classroom window. I push it up and it opens up with minimal noise. Success. I hop inside with a flashlight.  

Grasping my only source of light, I creep through the classroom and make my way to the door. Opening it as quietly as possible I step into the hallway. I turn off my flashlight and listen quietly. Nothing but pure silence meets my ears so I walk to the Choir room that holds the piano. The only sound echoing through the hall being the sound of my shoes connecting with the floor. 

School is always much weirder at night. When it's not filled with a mob of students, when it's quiet and still, and just odd. 

The room I'm looking for comes into my view and I let a breath of release out. I try the door but it's locked. I wince softly, the sound escaping the back of my throat. I breathe out the word, "Open," to the door. The first word I've said in so long feels like bliss rolling off my lips and into the air. The door opens with the power behind my words and I enter into the room locking it behind me. 

I take a seat at the gloss covered piano, running my fingers over the silkiness of the keys. I push down the middle C key softly and the beautiful sound of the piano fills the room. Blood rushes through my body faster and my lungs breathe a little harder. Slowly and gradually I let my fingers start to dance across the keys. The sound is powerful, beautiful even, yet so sad. 

Just so sad. 

When the sun starts to come up I abandon the piano and stare out the window. Life begins again today. People will wake up and go to work. Husbands are cheating, wives are leaving, kids are eating and watching cartoons, teens are groaning and rolling over. Life is happening as I stand here. In an instant that can go away. The earth we know will be swallowed up by the sun into a place where we won't exist anymore. 

An epidemic can take over our planet and the lives we know now will not be the lives we live tomorrow. 

Maybe that's why I'm so sad. 

Because if I died tomorrow. 

I know

I just know I didn't live the life I should've.