Chapter 9

AMELIA

I grunt as I force myself to get ready, seeing that I was still in the same clothes last night, too drained to change.

I bumped into Matt while walking along the hallway and he just let his head down, staring at the floor when he went back to his bedroom, making me roll my eyes and jog down the stairs to reach the dining room faster.

"Morning, honey." "Morning, dear." Alexandra and Christopher greeted me simultaneously.

"Morning." I tried my best to smile as I sit down. 

"Uh, Amelia, can I talk to you?" Matt asks from the big entrance room.

I thought about it for a second and just let out a frustrated sigh, standing up again and going to where Matt was.

"Look, I'm sorry about yesterday and maybe I could hang-out with you today? Let's go to the beach or something."

I guess I had nothing better to do, and he was my best friend after all.

"Fine."

"Cool. Thanks, Amelia." He smiles and traps me in a tight hug.

"Can't.. Breathe." I struggle to speak as his hug was too tight. 

"Sorry." He apologized, letting go of his grip. "Little girl." I hear him mutter just loud enough so I can hear, a smirk appearing on his face.

I just hit him on his arm. Hard.

"Ow! Strong little girl." He rubs his inflicted arm.

I was supposed to hit him again when he raised his arms in surrender, making me raise my chin proudly as we walk back towards the dining area.

"So, I was wondering if I could go to the beach with Matt today." I kindly ask my parents. 

"Oh. I was worrying you haven't had anything to do so I thought Mike's offer to take you out today might be good, but it seems like you're already booked." Alexandra answered with a disappointed tone.

Matt tensed at this while confusion ran through my mind.

"Take me out where?"  I raise my eyebrow as I take a bite of the pancakes on my plate.

"I don't know, somewhere. It's a date." My mom casually answered with a shrug, causing me to helplessly choke on a piece of food and cough for a few good moments.

He asked my mom to take me out on a date!?

"But it's okay. There's always next time." She added, beaming.

After fully recovering, I drink a glass of water and finish my food, shaking my head with a frown.

—-

I was lying on the towel with closed eyes, absorbing the sun and relaxing.

Until I felt water splashed on me.