Chapter 3

AMELIA

"What?!" I cried for like, the hundredth time.

"I'm sorry sweetheart but we really need to move again." Mom replied, trying to calm me down.

"Just give me time." I said flatly, leaving the house and headed for my thinking spot, the park.

On my way to the park, I text Matt.

Hey Matt. Meet me at the park? I need to talk to you.

I got an instant reply.

Okay. See you.

We're leaving again, at the time when Matt and I were best friends again. That's the thing that made me sadder than anything about moving.

--

"Hey. What's up?" I heard Matthew's voice while I sit in the same bench I sat on yesterday.

"We're moving."

"What?!"

"We. Are. Moving. Away from Hudson." I drew out each word clearly and slowly, rolling my eyes at him.

"I heard you. But why?"

"I don't know. Mom says I'll know someday." I huff in frustration.

--

LINDA

"Just give me time." Amelia said flatly as she went outside.

I didn't need to know where she would go. She always went to the park when she was upset.

We were moving again because Alexandra, Amelia's real mom, found out where we were.

I was supposed to return Amelia 4 years ago but there was just this feeling inside that says I just couldn't, I love her like she was my own and I wasn't going to let her go so I decided to move here in Hudson, to escape from Alex, but now she found where I am hiding Amelia.

I let my head fall to my hands, not knowing what to do next. Amelia didn't know that she was adopted and I don't know how to tell her.

I knew she would need to know someday.

--

AMELIA

Dead silence was all I heard for some time. It was fine with me actually, being with Matt even when we're not talking. It was the comfortable type of silence.

"I... I have something to tell you, Amelia. Something I haven't told but should've for a long time." Matt said, breaking the silence.

"What's that?"

"I like you." He said quietly.

Shock attack.

"Really? Then why would you be with other girls than me?" I scoff, trying so hard not to believe him.

"I don't know, it's just that I didn't believe in myself that I had feelings for you. You're my best friend. Heck, you're my bestest friend." He explained, emphasizing the 'est' in bestest. "And I didn't want to risk that." He finished.

"I'm not sure of my feelings either. Give me time to think, please?" I admitted.

"Sure. Anything for you." He said sweetly. "I know you would like me someday." He added cockily.

"Well someone's too confident." I retorted sticking out my tongue to him.

"I was just kidding!" He laughed.

I just shook my head at him. "What's going to happen with you and Jane now?"

"I broke up with her days ago." He shrugged.

"Oh, I'm sorry."

"Well that's funny. Why are you sorry?"

"I don't know, you just broke up." I said in a duh tone.

"Well, don't be. I just realized that I didn't like her that way so I just broke up with her."

Dead silence was in the air again. This time it was awkward for me because I kept assuming that I was the reason why he broke up with Jane but I would just try so hard to cancel the thought.

Matt noticed the tension I was feeling and tried to lighten up the mood. He changed the topic and we talked about random stuff again. It kind of helped.

--

MATTHEW

"Well, don't be. I just realized that I didn't like her that way so I just broke up with her." I replied to the most amazing girl, who I'm currently talking to right now.

I felt some tension from her when she didn't know what to say next so I decided to change the topic and try to make it the way we kept on talking like before.

I really didn't know how could I cope with not talking to her for a long time and just hung out with Jane, I really missed her. Jane's hot and all, but she isn't my type.

"I think we should be heading home now." Amelia cut my trail of thoughts.

"Sure." I smiled.

The more Amelia and I kept on hanging, I kept on liking her even more. Maybe that's the reason I tried to distance myself from her the past weeks.

I think of how to make Amelia's last days great or how to make her stay for a bit longer.

Crap. I just thought of a plan. Crazy, but it's something.

"What's with that huge ear-to-ear smile on your face?" Amelia asked, obviously curious about it.

"Nothing." I simply said, still smiling.

--