The L.A. Project (chapter 1)

*This is a story i've been writing for a while. I change things a lot, so, be forewarned. Oh, and sorry for any typos i made, I didn't spell check it.

Chapter One

Part 1 : Regan

It was a cold day; clouds and fog came with the cold weather. It was hard enough to see just walking outside, I mean, you could barely see your hand one foot in front of you, but it was even harder to drive. Traffic was unbelievably slow on the way to school. It must have taken me at least half an hour to get into the parking lot-not including the time it took to find a parking space-when my house is only a few blocks away! I drove up and down the rows searching for a space, any space. I finally found one, on the furthest corner away from school. Figures.

Gwen, my best friend for life, would probably call me in the next minute or two to see where I was. I parked and got of the car--or attempted too. My shoe was stuck on something or other on the floor of my car, and I didn't realize it until I was on the ground. I stepped, my foot didn't come with me, and I fell flat on my face on the concrete. I probably could have avoided bringing so much attention to myself if I hadn't shrieked so loudly. I could see heads peaking over cars to see what had happened. I swore under my breath. Taking off the shoe that was still stuck tight to the floor of my red, used convertible, I stood up and yanked it off. There was a patch of the mat that was stuck on the bottom of it. I sighed and put my shoe back on.

Walking the quarter of a mile back to school wasn't fun. I wish the superintendant would allow construction workers to build another entrance closer to the far side of the lot. She said we didn't need it, and children our age needed more exercise. The superintendant never actually came into our school to see if we were obese, she just guessed. But, whatever, you know? A little exercise couldn't harm me, at least not in any permanent way.

The school sign in front of the entrance made everything uglier. "Cassidy-Franklin High School" was gouged in an ancient rock around twenty years ago, and hadn't been touched since. The sign has various animal crap all over it, and around it; vines had even started to grow around and in the words, making it nearly impossible to read from a distance. On the concrete in front of it, a bronze square in the concrete held Cassidy and Franklin's pictures and a summary of their lives together. I guess they were married, and Cassidy died, so maybe Franklin built the school in her honor. Maybe it was her lifetime wish that she never got to see. Maybe some guy threatened to kill him if he didn't build the school for him? Who cares? No one-and I mean no one-takes the time to read about them.

Anyway, I walked into the school through the glass doors. They were supposed to be automatic, you know, for the disabled kids, but they'd broken months ago. The janitors were so busy with other things-mysterious janitor things-that they didn't notice. I'd noticed the halls weren't quite as clean as they normally were. I hate coming off like a germophobic freak, but, nothing was cleaned properly. Maybe the janitors spent their days getting drunk in broom closets. That would explain the lingering odor of vodka in the Southern corner of the school-near the janitor's "office", per say. But, it could have been a...Brazilian Bleach and I wouldn't know. My family has a strict no-alcohol policy. We have no alcohol in our house whatsoever, trust me, I've looked. My family is way overprotective and strict-which explains why I don't bring friends over too often. They'll totally grill them, for hours if they could, about me and our other peers. "Is Regan doing drugs?", "Are you or any of your friends?", or "Are you familiar with the Occult?" They actually asked Gwen that once, the occult question. Just because she has that "look"--eyeliner, and a ton of black, they assume she's a Satan worshiper.

I found Gwen lounging outside our first class, history. She probably couldn't be any more bored watching people walk by her, and asking if she needed help, which had to be annoying. I took a yellow ponytail holder out of my hair, aimed, and let it go. It hit her on her shoulder, "Ow!" she said, rubbing her shoulder that was slowly turning red.