40. Are You Flirting With Me?

Start from the beginning

Our gazes lock for a moment, along with my ability to breathe. We've had small moments where I'm vaguely suspicious that he may find me attractive, especially when he held me after my near drowning experience at the lake, but it's so brief that the idea dies almost immediately. This time, though, it's as if he doesn't care that he's just revealed a hint of interest. Or is it just curiosity? Is he trying to decipher some hidden meaning behind my personality?

"Uh, do you..." I lift my chin from where it's resting on my arms and tuck a strand of hair behind my ear. "Did you want to join me up here?"

I'm disgusted by the insecurity laced behind my words, but I'm currently still working to get my breathing back to normal and it can't be helped. Trevor nods slowly, eyeing me carefully, before standing.

I scoot over to make room as he stands, picking up his computer in the process. He moves around to the side of the bed, where he rearranges his pillows to make a backrest and plops himself down. We're at completely opposite ends of the bed, not sitting any closer to each other than we were before, but somehow the energy in the room has changed. It's stifling. I'm very grateful for the sleeveless shirt I chose to wear, or I'd be sweating buckets. I shift myself so that I'm once again in front of my computer, but my thoughts are scattered. The project is the last thing on my mind.

"Says here that a rocking horse might mean that I'm stuck; not making any progress." Trevor's voice breaks the awkward atmosphere like a piece of glass.

I snap back to attention, as I sit up to face him. I cross my legs and place my laptop over them.

"Uh..." I'm still having a bit of trouble getting my brain back into 'homework' mode. I blink at my screen a couple times before actually reading the article I've got displayed. "A dark room could symbolize that you're curious about how a certain scenario might turn out."

"Okay?" he says, but he doesn't sound sure.

I glance up to see Trevor clicking away on his computer. He doesn't seem affected even the slightest. It's like he was momentarily distracted, but now he's back on track and even more focused than before.

"What else can we look up?" he asks and then snaps his fingers. "Cougar."

He's already typing in the search so I just sit and wait for him to find the interpretation.

"Cougar. Okay. Says that cougars represent a—" He cuts himself off before finishing.

I look up to find his eyes glued to his screen. 

"A what?" I ask.

He doesn't respond for a couple seconds, and I'm wondering if he even will.

"How about your dreams," he suggests, very obviously trying to change the subject.

Curiosity surges through my veins.  I shoot Trevor a pointed look and smile before setting my computer aside and crawling towards him.

"Tell me," I say as I approach him. I sit back on my legs, pleading with my eyes for him to spill whatever it is that he found. "Represents what?... Let me guess, an older woman? I knew it!" 

A smile tilts up one side of his face, but he remains silent. I inch my way a little closer, but Trevor quickly shuts his laptop and sets it on the nightstand.

"Nope."

"Come on!" I beg.

He crosses his arms over his chest and smirks at me.

"I'll just look it up myself then," I inform him as I turn around.

Suddenly a pair of hands snake around my waist, pulling me back towards a hard chest. I squeak with shock before realizing that I'm currently wrapped in Trevor's steel hold with no escape. But, I don't mind at all. Especially when he smells like cinnamon and spicy cologne. He is hmm hmm good!

"No ya don't," he whispers into my ear, and I involuntarily shrug my shoulders up around my neck to ward off the shivers.

I never thought that Trevor would ever treat me with even the slightest hint of kindness, but he had proven me wrong, and now here he was with his arms securely folded around me.

"Let me go," I laugh as I struggle to be freed.

It's not that I actually want to get away, but it would be extremely weird if I just sat there reveling in the feel of his arms wrapped around me. I can't just assume that he's flirting with me. It's very possible that he was just, what, being playful? Isn't that still flirting? What exactly are we doing? What is he doing?

"Trevor Nixon," I giggle as his hold tightens. "Are you flirting with me?" 

And then my stupid mouth had to go and break the spell. 

---

If you're enjoying this please don't forget to vote or comment. You're awesome! Thanks!