Chapter 38

Kevin picked up on the second ring. "This is Kevin."

"Kev. We sort of have a problem."

There was a rustling sound, and then Kevin spoke again. "What kind of problem?"

Scott tried to keep his voice low in hopes of keeping the Omegas calm. "Jamie is here. With his pack, and a few others. Snatchers, maybe."

Scott could hear Avi saying something to Kevin, when Scott realized he was on speaker phone.

Avi began then. "The front door is locked? Omegas in a safer room? You're with them? No noise or any other sign that there is someone home?"

"That's correct, Sir."

Avi hummed. "Then it should be alright. We'll come home as soon as we can."

Kevin grabbed the phone then. "But soon might not be soon, yes? Doctors are checking him out as we speak."

Scott nodded, before faintly hearing Mitch whimper. "Um. Kev? Gotta go. Call back if you have anything."

He didn't even wait for a response, just tucked the phone in his pocket and walked over to Mitch, kneeling down in front of where Mitch was sitting on the bed. "What's wrong, Sweetie?"

"J-Jamie is here?" Mitch asked, voice just above a whisper.

Scott nodded, reaching forward to brush Mitch's bangs out of his eyes. "I'm afraid so, honey. But don't worry. I won't let him get to you."

Kirstie attempted a smile at Scott, moving towards Mitch on the bed to get Scott's attention. "How was my Alpha? Did he seem okay?"

"His instincts are good as new, I can tell you that. The doctors were checking him out when I talked to Kevin, so he'll call back with information. You'll be the first one I tell, I promise."

The doorbell rang again.

Mitch's head snapped towards the door, as he whimpered and grabbed onto Scott's arm.

Scott looked back and forth between them. He was really fucked now.

Two terrified Omegas, and he was all alone to try and comfort them.

Scott set a hand on one of each of their thighs. "Hey. Mitchie. Calm down, honey. I will not let Jamie touch you. I promise."

He turned his head. "And Kirstie. Baby. Avi is going to be okay. He's stronger than anyone I've ever known. Just take a deep breath. Okay?"

Kirstin looked over at Mitch for a second, and then they both looked down at Scott, grabbed both of his arms, and pulled him up to sit between them.

Scott allowed them to tug him around.

Kirstin hugged him sideways. "You're sure he'll be okay?"

"I can't promise anything, Kit. But he's tough. I wouldn't worry."

Mitch then grabbed Scott's upper arm. "And Jamie? You're sure he can't get in?"

"The door's locked, honey. I'm sure."

The doorbell rang once more, and when they started knocking loudly on the door, Mitch covered his ears.

Scott rubbed his back a few times, until the incessant knocking finally stopped.

Kirstie leaned into Scott's side when it was finally quiet. "Are they gone?" She whispered.

Scott shrugged and stood up slowly, detangling himself from the two Omegas.

Mitch pulled him back down by the arm. "Don't go."

Scott stood again, pushing Mitch's hand from his arm. "You two stay right here. Do you hear me? Don't move. Lock the door behind me, and don't open it for anyone else."

Kirstie jumped off of the bed to close the door and lock it when Scott left.

Scott walked towards the front door slowly, just to be sure it was still locked and that Jamie hadn't got in.

Scott scanned the living room quickly, and then when he finally got to the door, he breathed out a sigh of relief when it was still locked.

Scott turned around again and went towards his bedroom. He knocked on the door. "Mitchie, it's m--"

Mitch threw the door open and jumped on him, taking him to the ground in surprise.

Kirstie gasped behind him. "Mitch! That's not Jamie!"

Mitch looked up at Scott's face, both of them now laying on the ground. "Oh. My bad. I'm sorry."

Scott shook his head. "Do I seriously look like Jamie? Or smell like him? Or sound like him? Come on, Mitch."

Mitch pushed himself off of Scott and then stood up. "No. You don't. I'm sorry. I just.. Got scared."

Scott slowly stood up. "It's fine."

Kirstie walked over then, brushing Scott's back off. "Are you okay, Sir?"

"Yeah. No worries."

Just then, his phone started to ring.

Scott took his time as he grabbed his phone from his pocket. "Yeah."

Kevin was on the other line. "So.. Doctor said it's an illness that occurs often in Lead Alphas. It's from too much stress. He just worked his body way too hard."

"What does that mean? He doesn't have to stay at the hospital does he?" Scott questioned.

"No, no. He just needs to take a few antibiotics, and rest. We'll be home in like twenty minutes. I need you to promise me you won't argue with him. He needs to stay calm." Kevin warned.

Scott looked at Kirstin's worried eyes. "Copy that."

"Scott, I'm serious. He's too weak to lead. Will you be alright doing it for a week or so?"

"Yeah. No worries." Scott said offhandedly.

Kevin was quiet for a second, probably talking to Avi, and then he came back. "You're good at taking care of people. And that's what he needs right now. Okay? Differences aside. Take care of your family."

"I always do."

*******

After Scott hung up, Kirstin was staring at him expectantly.

Scott put a hand on her shoulder. "Avi is on his way home. Twenty minutes, tops. He just needs to relax for a week or so. He needs us all to take care of him. Can you do that for me, Kit?"

She nodded a few times. "Of course I can. And I will. I won't let you down, I promise."

Scott smiled at her and kissed her forehead. "Such a good Omega, you are. Thank you."

She smiled at him widely. "Aww that's sweet of you to say."

********