Chapter 20

When everyone was sat down for dinner, Avi's hair was in a nice man bun.

Mitch sat down on the other side of Avi, poking his hair. "That's cute!"

Kirstie giggled. "I thought so too."

Avi leaned away from Mitch so he'd stop poking his hair.

Scott sat at the head of the table on the other side of Mitch, not saying a word.

Kevin set a bowl of pasta down in front of all of them, a piece of grilled chicken on top of the pasta.

Everyone's bowls looked relatively similar, except Todrick and Kirstie's were both full of a smaller serving.

Todrick was standing in the doorway of the kitchen. "What can I get you guys to drink?"

Mitch jumped up then, walking quickly into the kitchen to get water for both he and his Alpha.

Avi shook his head at Todrick. "Just sit down. You've done enough, just relax a little."

Todrick nodded and sat down. "Yes, Alpha. Thank you."

Avi just smiled at him, and fed Kirstie some of the chicken sitting atop her pasta.

Mitch came back into the room and set one glass in front of Scott, before setting one by his own bowl.

Scott smiled widely at him. "Thank you, Sweetie."

Mitch smiled right back and then started to eat.

Kevin was the last to sit down after grabbing drinks for the others.

Dinner proceeded quietly, Kevin thanking Todrick for helping him a few times, as well as Mitch poking Avi's man bun every now and then.

Kirstie started talking to Mitch about something, to which Todrick quickly jumped in.

Kevin leaned over to Scott and started to whisper to him, now that everyone was distracted. "Are you okay? You're acting strange."

Scott nodded, picking around his food again. "Yeah."

"Don't lie to me. You know I wouldn't ever judge you. Is it because of Mitchie? I heard you two arguing earlier."

Scott stopped moving and finally looked up to meet his eyes. "You did?"

"Yeah. He.. He's changing. And you're not used to it."

Scott glanced over at Mitch, who was still talking to Todrick.

He looked back over at Kevin. "We'll talk later, okay?"

Kevin nodded and looked back down at his food. "Scott... Maybe you should wear something with sleeves for a little while."

Scott glanced down, and the arm that Mitch had been clinging to was covered in small fingerprint bruises.

He sighed and hid that arm under the table.

Mitch giggled and looked over at Scott, who was just staring at his food.

He was about to say something, but Kirstie reached across Avi to poke him and say something else.

Scott stood up, plate still mostly full, and took his dish into the kitchen before Avi could see how much he hadn't eaten.

Todrick followed him and took the bowl from his hands. "I'll take care of it. Go talk to Kevin."

"You heard that?"

"Of course I did. I was going to say something if Kevin didn't."

Scott took a deep breath and nodded, turning to walk through the living room, towards Kevin's room.

When he walked in, Kevin was just sitting down on the edge of the bed.

Scott closed the door behind him. "Okay. So tell me what you know."

"Cats can hear ultrasound."

"Kevin. You know what I meant."

Kevin smiled and patted the space on the bed beside him. "Take a seat, Alpha."

Scott sat down slowly. "Well?"

"He's more confident now, isn't he?"

Scott took a second to think about it. "Now that I think about it... Yeah."

"And you're not used to that. That's why."

Scott stared at him. "That's it? That's all it is?"

Kevin shrugged. "I guess it is. He's finally speaking up for himself. More than you're used to. It's neither of your guys' fault. You wanted him to have confidence, and now he does. You'll just have to get used to it."

"But.. His confidence.. It's making me lose control of him."

"He can be confident and obedient. It's possible. I mean, look at Todrick. You probably just have to talk to him about it." Kevin suggested.

Scott sighed and leaned on Kevin's shoulder. "Damn it. I don't want to talk to him about it. It's my fault. I forced him to get more confident, and now I can't handle it."

"That's not true. He deserved to be more confident. This is what the real Mitch is like. This is who he was born to be. You need time to adapt to his new personality. That's all. Not a problem. He's still Mitchie." Kevin said, patting Scott's back.

"That's just it, though. He isn't. I fell in love with my little, innocent, Mitchie. What if... What if I can't love who he's turned into?" Scott whispered, leaning up to look into Kevin's eyes.

"Don't say that. Oh my goodness, you're going to make me cry."

"Sorry, Kev... He's just.. He's my little baby, y'know?"

"Babies grow up, Scott. You can't blame him for that." Kevin said quietly.

Scott stared at him, and then his hand came up to cover his mouth. "Oh my God.. I'm going to lose him. Is that what you're saying? You knew all along--"

"No, Sir. No. All due respect for interrupting. But just.. Stop that. You're not losing anything. Except your mind, a little. Calm down." Kevin rubbed his back even more.

Scott ran his hands over his face. "I think you're right. I think I am losing my mind." He grabbed his necklace and stared at it again.

Kevin noticed, and then he finally started to figure it out. "Oh. Oh, I get it. With his confidence, he's not treating you like his savior anymore. You don't have to spend the day telling him how beautiful he is anymore. You probably haven't had to do it for a while, I bet. That's what's freaking you out. You think he'll get strong enough, and he won't need you anymore."

Scott dropped the necklace to fall against his chest. "I guess so. It's like.. I was his safety blanket.. And now that he's starting to outgrow me, I'm afraid. I don't want him to throw me out when he doesn't need me anymore. Because... I don't know what I'll do without him."

Kevin made a sad sound and hugged Scott sideways. "That was so upsetting."

********