No Such Thing As Instant

We were the model family. The definition of what a family should be. Look up family in the dictionary and find a picture of our family- Type of family. Our father was the picture of maturity, yet could still have fun with his three perfect children. Our mother loved us more than anything in the world and we could see it in her eyes every time she looked at us. We came from a line of loving relatives who would shower us with presents on our birthdays, and kisses on any other day. That's why it made no sense. Why us?

0.5 Seconds after impact

I've heard screeching tires before. Some idiot taking a corner too fast, or skidding to a stop after almost damaging someone's bumper. You'd think that was the first thing I heard. It wasn't. Instead, I heard my dad's whispered "shit", as he slammed on the brakes in a desperate attempt to avoid collision. I found it strange, that my perfect father had just ruined his previously perfect record of no cusses, over something as silly as a motorized vehicle. The screeching came after... I think. Or at least that's what I suspect is supposed to happen in a car crash. I never actually heard it. I was possibly just too hung up on my loving, image of maturity, father, letting slip such a disgrace to his once clean mouth. Another possibility to the lack of screeching tires, was that idea that maybe thee were no screeching tires to be heard. Maybe the giant truck didn't even try to brake for us. Our poor family-perfect van unwillingly played red rover to all eighteen wheels of the giant un-braking truck. I was almost grateful for the lack of painful rubber on asphalt screeching sound. Key word- Almost. No one would rather save their ears than their whole perfect family. No way. The front half of the passenger side took the biggest hit. My loving father was out the window before the airbags even realized what was happening. It would later be said that my mother died instantly. I know now that there's no such thing as instant. Seconds give way to milliseconds and femtoseconds and so on and so forth, all of which can be stretched on to feel like years. That's when instant loses it's meaning. Just like life loses it's meaning, when you see it all within milliseconds. Milliseconds of which feel like years.