Without making another sound and walking out of the office, Mathew closed the door behind him, leaving me and his boss alone. I breathed out a sigh of relief, finally being capable of unleashing my feelings and fought to unfasten the bracelet that was the cause of my anger. Standing up from his leather office chair, Gabriel extended his hand to me in an inviting gesture, his lips parting as if to say something, but I didn't let him follow through on his intention. Finally getting the damn thing off my wrist, I threw it across the room at him. His eyes widened, the bracelet hitting his rock hard chest and falling at his feet.

"You know..." He sighed, briefly closing his eyes and hoplessly shaking his head.

"Surprisingly, I do, in spite of the fact that you'd forgotten to tell me what this bracelet really meant. How could you do this to me behind my back? How could you not tell me the truth? How could you let her throw it in my face?" Throwing his head back on an angry growl, Gabriel's hands grabbed the edge of his desk, his knuckles whitening.

"Mei..." The word was barely an angry whisper but I'd heard it, just as I'd heard the deep, calming breath he took afterwards.

"How could you make me a protege without even letting me know? Without even fucking asking for my opinion, Gabriel." I yelled, the sound of my voice stronger than I'd expected.

"Would you have accepted?" The confusion must have been showing on my face, because Gabriel silently sighed, shaking his head once more. "If I told you about it -if I asked for your permission... Would you have accepted to become a protege?" Accept becoming a protege? Accept being held captive by some invisible, crazy bonds? Accept becoming his damn property? Hell, no. "I didn't think so." I was quite sure that I hadn't actually said those words out loud, confusion drowning me further. "You didn't have to say it, judge. That's how well I know you. I can actually tell what you're thinking. That has never happened to me before. And that's also why I didn't tell you anything. I knew you wouldn't agree with it." I let out an incredulous laugh, the irony of the whole thing not lost on me.

"So you knew that I wouldn't agree, but you still went on and did it." Gritting his teeth, Gabriel let out a strangled moan.

"I had a fucking good reason for it. You needed my damn protection..." Using the same silencing gesture he'd used on Mathew earlier, I let out a deep sigh.

"Look. I don't care what you thought or what your reasons for doing this to me were. What I'm here to say to you is that I'll never be a protege. I'm not like the rest of your girls, Gabriel." His eyes narrowed in warning, but I couldn't give a crap about it. He'd tried to make me a protege and all proteges were calling him by his first name, so I was supposed to have gained that right too."If you don't want me anymore just tell me. I don't need something in exchange and I sure as hell don't need your protection. I know how this works. You've told me. And you don't owe me a thing." My cell started vibrating in the pocket of my jeans and I pulled it out, checking the text I'd received. It was from Lila.

It's almost midnight. Why the fuck aren't you at home and where exactly are you? We need to talk. I'm at your place. It's urgent. Please!

The please gave me chills. It meant it was fucking serious and that I had to get home fast. Turning on my heels, I started for the door just to be stopped the moment two strong, muscular arms wrapped around my waist holding me still.

"What the fuck do you think you're doing?" Gabriel growled into my ear. His proximity was too much to stand at the moment, so taking him by complete surprise, I pushed him away from me continuing my way to the door, only for the damn thing to be slammed in my face. "I asked you a question. What do you think you're doing?"