Chapter 2

I walked into the local IHOP to try and find a job. I had always liked IHOP, so hopefully it wouldn't make me have an episode.

Okay, I just have to go to the manager, eat some pancakes, something.

I walked up to a lady who was working there.

"Excuse me?"

"Oh, how may I help you?"

"I noticed the 'help wanted' sign, and I was wondering if I could apply."

"Sure. Let me get an application for you."

She left for a second and came back with a paper.

"Just fill that in, give it back to me, and we'll call you if we're interested."

"Thank you." So far, so good.

I filled out the sheet with my name, phone number, address, or at least, my address for the next 30 days, and so on.

Unfortunately, I had to pathetically leave the "employment history" part blank. It's not like anybody really wants to hire an unstable person.

I finished the application and handed it back to the lady.

"Thank you very much. I will give this to my boss, and let him take a look at it."

I thanked her and decided to order some food. It was about time that I had a real meal. I didn't have much money to spend on anything, let alone food.

While eating my food, I noticed a family come into the restaurant. It looked like a mother and father with their daughter.

I looked closely at the daughter. She was sitting in a wheelchair.

She looked like a happy girl for someone confined to a chair. She was smiling. I could tell her smile was genuine joy.

A gust of wind brushed her light brown hair to the side, revealing a small, barely noticeable scar. She quickly covered it with her hair again.

What happened to her?

I tried to ignore the burning question, but I couldn't take my mind off of her.

When I left, she still remained in my mind.

I was soon pushed to the ground my something attacking my legs.

I felt rage building up, and was prepared to attack the person. I looked up, and all the rage went away.

It was the girl in the wheelchair.

"I am so sorry. I wasn't paying attention."

"I-it's okay. I'm fine."

Why am I so calm all of a sudden?

"But, what about your leg?"

I looked at my legs and noticed a cut on my right knee.

"Oh, I didn't see that."

"Here, let me take care of it."

She grabbed a tissue out of a bag attached to her wheelchair, and started wiping the blood dripping from my knee. She, then, grabbed a bandaid and put it on.

"Wow, you're really prepared."

"Thanks. When you have a million places to put your things everywhere you go, you pretty much have everything."

I laughed. I surprised myself by smiling. I actually smiled without it being forced.

"Anyway, thank you so much."

"You're welcome. My name's Chloe, by the way." She held out her hand.

"My name's Ross." I shook her hand.

"Maybe I'll see you again in the future."

I nodded and left as her parents came out of the restaurant.

"Who was that?" I heard them say.

"A new friend I made. His name is Ross." Friend?

The word "friend" rang in my mind the whole way home.

I have a friend.