N I N E

Grayson Lake

My locker slams shut,

BANG.

I stumble backward into the line of rushing students trying to get to their next class. An awkward scream comes up my throat, startled that the metal locker almost crushed my fingers. Almost. People look at me like I'm crazy, but end up walking faster down the hall.

I run my hand through the top strands of my hair, crossing my arms to look at Paul.

"You almost smashed my fingers." I walk back to my locker and start spinning the dial to get the rest of my binders out.

"And you're going on a date with me tonight." I forget my combination suddenly, letting my hands fall to my sides. I look at Paul who's leaning against the next locker. Does he want to go on a date with me? I like him, but what he's been doing with Jocelyn, I'm not a fan of.

"I'm busy tonight," I drag out. His muscular arms are crossed against his chest like he's irritated.

"Busy on a Thursday night?" Paul taunts me, stepping closer. I step back and glance at the time on my phone. The late bell is about to go off.

"Yes. My dad is a teacher for the middle school and I'm going over after school to help the 7th graders paint a banner for the football players to run into before the tournament game." It's not a lie. I just didn't think I was going to go tonight even though my dad has been bugging me since last night.

"I'm picking you up at 7 after football practice, I'll have you home before 10." Paul pats my shoulder awkwardly. "Wear a dress." I raise my eyebrows at him with a grin on my face.

"You're new to this, aren't you?" I close my locker and hold my binders against my Copper Wright jacket. Correction, Paul's Copper Wright Jacket. I hope he doesn't notice. This is my new favorite jacket and I refuse to give it back to its rightful owner.

"New to what?" Paul shifts from one foot to another, biting his lip.

I twirl my finger around in the air for emphasizing, "new to asking girls out on a date?" Paul smirks, looking down at me. He's almost 6'5, why does he have to be so tall? Although, I kinda like it.

Paul hesitates, grabbing my stack of binders and my textbook from my hands.

"Life begins at the end of your comfort zone, Grayson."

---

"Talk about déjà vu." Peyton smacks her lips loudly, stuffing a handful of Ruffles into her mouth. I look down noticing the crumbs falling on my bare feet. I also notice the bandage around Peyton's foot from the lake. Here stitches will dissolve any day now according to the doctor. Looks like I'll have to vacuum later.

"It's kinda scary how this happened exactly a week ago," Peyton mutters. I nod and sit down into the reject pile of clothes.

"It's not exactly like last Thursday," I point out. She sets down the bag on the bedside table and pushes old hangers aside.

"Oh really? What's different smarty pants?" Peyton holds up a yellow sundress. I shake my head no. It's pretty, but it's too bright for fall. She tosses it onto the pile, the end of the dress smacking my face. I groan and push it off.

I look around the room, "today, we're eating sour cream Ruffles. That's different." Peyton rolls her eyes.

"I can't wait for tomorrow night," Peyton gushes and sits down on my desk chair. I nod my head. I can't wait either. The school even ordered a cavalier mascot for tomorrow. I also need to buy a shirt for each tournament game. I heard the band has also learned two new songs for the upcoming halftime show.

"Back to the date, he said I need to wear a dress. I have three and I don't know which one to go with." I throw my head back and groan. Being a girl is so hard. I can feel my period coming up. Great.

"I say black dress with sleeves. It's loose so you won't be uncomfortable, it's long enough so your modesty shows, it's black so it can go with any boots, and it has sleeves so you won't get cold." Peyton picks the black dress off the bed.

"You should really work in retail." We both laugh. I know the second a customer isn't happy and decides to complain, Peyton will just tell them where to shove that complaint.

"Grayson, your date is here!" Mom yells from the bottom of the steps. My eyes go wide and I look down at my shirt and gym shorts.

"Shit! Peyton, I told you to watch the time!" Peyton clasps a hand over her mouth, trying to muffle a laugh.

"I'm so sorry, I downloaded a movie on my phone and it was about to die, so I put it in the charger." Peyton runs to my drawer and takes out a bra, hosiery, and brown riding boots. "Go get ready now!"

"Peyton, don't let Paul talk to my dad," I plead. She nods.

As any father would act towards his only daughter going on a date, I know it's not a good idea for them to interact. Peyton shoves me down the hall and into the bathroom, I almost trip on the toilet.

I get dressed as fast as I can. I quickly fill in my eyebrows and put lotion on. I should have straightened my hair, but it would take too long now. It's naturally wavy, so it get's tangled way too easily. I throw it up in a ponytail. I run into my room and grab my purse. I jog downstairs.

"So this is my Beanfield sniper. I used to love hunting before Grayson was born. I took her hunting when she was 6. I shot a rabbit to show her how it works and she couldn't stop crying for three hours. Swear I was deaf by the end of the day by all her screaming. I haven't had the heart to do it since. This gun can kill up to a 660-pound deer. Say, Paul, how much do you weigh?"

"Dad!" I scream and pull Paul away by his shoulder. Paul is wearing a suit with a silver tie, his suit and tie being the same colors as his jersey. I note to admire him once we're out of the house.

"Yes, baby girl? You hear that Paul? She's still my baby girl." Dad ruffles my hair. I rub my forehead, already feeling a headache coming. I steal a glance at Paul who looks overwhelmed. He doesn't give me a glance as he stares at my dad's gun.

Paul slowly looks away from the gun, looking my dad in the eyes. "Yes, sir. I understand. I would treat any guy who goes out with my daughter just as you would. I'll make sure Grayson gets home by 9:30." Paul sticks out his hand for my dad to shake. Dad uncrosses his arms and gives Paul a firm shake.

"I approve. Get out of here." I hear cheering and look to the kitchen to see my mom clapping while frosting a cupcake. Peyton is sat at the counter licking the frosting bowl. Failed mission by her.

"Ready to go?" Paul looks down at me, his hair tussled in a perfect way. I nod my head and lead him to the door.

"Bye Mom, Dad, Peyton." I shut the screen of the front door and walk towards the passenger seat of Paul's truck.

"You look beautiful." Paul opens up the door for me and helps me in. His hand goes to the back of my head.

"What are you-" My hair falls around my shoulders. Paul smirks and closes the door. I watch him as he flicks the hair tie into the grass. I glare at him as he walks around the hood of the truck.

"What was that for?" I pout and stare at him waiting for a response.

"I like your hair down. I notice when you're frustrated, you bring all your hair around one shoulder, just like that. It's cute." Paul points to my hair and starts up the car. I look down at the hair around my shoulder.