F I V E

Grayson Lake

"To Copper Wright High School!" Four senior cheerleaders cling their beers together and we all cheer around them. The bonfire in the center of the circle is providing the only light at the lake.

"Yeah!" I yell. Everyone downs their beer. We made it. We actually made it into the football tournament. Forty teams from around Texas are playing to win, and we're one of them.

It's a Saturday night in the tiny town of Copper Wright. At 2 pm, I received a text from a girl in my history class that there would be a party tonight at Pine Needle Lake.

I am wearing a black one piece under my school's shirt and black leggings. I'm not too comfortable with my body, so I didn't want to show my stomach. I've been doing thirty sit ups a day for the past two weeks, but that hasn't made a difference! Everyone walks away from the circle surrounding the fire. Some people are swimming, some people are throwing a football, some people are grilling burgers, and some people are just drinking and talking.

Someone on the football team's dad makes banners. For tonight, he made a big banner with the football bracket on it. It's about 8 feet tall. Everyone is signing their name on the back because if we get far into the tournament, the school said they would put it into a glass case in the main hallway for a few years. Our first game is next Saturday vs. Terrence Asher High School. It's about ten minutes away from Copper Wright.

"Let's go sign!" I say. Peyton and I walk over to the banner. I pick up a black sharpie from the plastic bin in the dirt and sign my name on an empty spot. Of course, someone drew a penis. Very mature. Probably a freshman.

"Hey, Grayson," Paul smiles at me as he walks by with two senior girls. It would make sense that a senior guy would want a senior girl. Or several senior girls.

"Hey," I say. The two girls don't look at me at all. One is clinging to Paul's arm, rubbing his bicep. Peyton sticks her finger down her throat. I laugh when they can't hear me.

I look behind my shoulder to see one of the girls whisper something into his ear. I can't help but feel a little bit jealous. Maybe I like him, I hope not. Half the guys I've ever liked started out as friends. When they found out I liked them, they distanced themselves so much that I lost them.

"You know, I think he plays with girls like that, but he likes girls like you." Peyton whispers. I don't answer. How would I answer that? I wanted to be humble when thinking about what happened between Paul and me yesterday. I always had trouble telling if a guy was flirting with me or if he was just really nice.

"Let's go swim!" Peyton snaps me out of my thoughts. She jogs over to the shore and takes her shorts and her shirt off.

"Grayson! Catch!" Peyton throws her clothes at me and I catch them. Great, I'll be holding her clothes all night.

"Am I just going to hold your stuff tonight?" I whine. Peyton gets knee length into the water. It must be freezing by the look on her face. She squirms in the water making me laugh. She looks so pale right now from the water. We didn't even bring towels, I grown. I guess she could borrow someone else's.

"Yes, unless you're coming in." Peyton's volleyball friends call her over.

"Hey, Grayson! Come in and let's play volleyball." Mo yells. Peyton swims in their direction, but I shake my head no. I am already cold enough.

"Sorry Mo, I'm cold enough!" She gives me the puppy dog eyes, but I shake my head no.

"Fine!" Mo huffs loudly. Peyton and her hug and start to play with a few other guys and girls, hitting a volleyball back and forth.