• wasted lunches and loosing a friend •

• chapter two •

==============================================================================

The boy's head shot up, a look of shock and surprise clouding his handsome features.

I flashed a bright smile his way as he nodded.

I reached down to pull the blue chair out and plopped down, "Hi! My name is Lia. What's your name?" I introduced myself cheerfully, popping open the plastic seal of my salad. I then, turned to him, smiling.

"Jared" He murmured quietly, his plump lips barely moving.

"I like your name" I complimented, squirting the caesar dressing over my salad.

His skin tinted with a light pink slightly before disappearing quickly.

"Where did you come from?" I asked, stabbing my fork into the lettuce and taking a bite.

"Florida. My mom was promoted and we were to move here" Jared filled me in quietly. His voice was deep but very gentle like.

"Where do your parents work?" I questioned, staring at Jared as he avoided my eyes.

"FedEx. Nothing special" He responded plainly, offering a small smile my way that made my lips quirk up a bit.

His smile was contagious. It looked cheerful and peaceful.

A boy that I knew whom was in my history class walked by, a look of disgust and hate written across his face. He spat onto the wooden table, landing straight onto Jared's half eaten lunch.

Jared's gentle brown eyes widened and I saw him swallow, lowering his eyes, and gently pushing his tray away. "Stay away from me, nigger" He sneered, rolling his blue eyes and sauntering to his snickering friends.

My eyes widened in shock and my lips parted.

My eyes darted to Jared and I sighed. I raised my hand up to touch his shoulder but he flinched and I dropped it limply. "I'm sorry" I apologized, staring at his watery eyes.

Jared sighed deeply before clearing his throat and blinking rapidly. He got up and slammed his tray into the trash bin before walking out quickly, keeping his head low.

I closed my mouth and quietly sighed, closing my eyes and shaking my head.

==

"I cannot believe you, Lia!" June shouted at the end of the day as I shut my locker door softly.

I rose a brow, hiking my backpack up further up at my back.

"What are you talking about?"

"You were talking to the black boy" June bluntly responded, a 'duh' expression on her flawless face.

I rubbed my temples harshly, gritting my teeth. "Can you shut the fuck up, June? What is up with you and the black boy bullshit? There's nothing wrong with me talking to the new kid" I growled angrily.

June glowered at me, "What is up with me? I cannot have my friend talking to some black boy!" She grit out.

"Oh my gosh, June," I muttered. "Then maybe we can't be friends" I childishly blurted. "If I can't talk to the new kid who is black then we cannot be friends" I explained.

June rolled her eyes scoffing. "I didn't need you anyway" She waved her hand as if dismissing me, stalking off to to the exit.