Chapter Eight: Confrontation

Sally's grandmother received a phone call lately that night and before she waited the caller to finish the sentence, she rushed to the hospital.

When she was at the hospital, she asked about Sally and the doctors assured her that her state was stable now and she needed to rest before her family would see her.

At the door of her room, Sally's grandmother glanced two men. One was walking back and forth and every while he tried to have a look at the door as if wanting to break into the room. He looked tough and depressed simultaneously. The other guy ducked down and it was clear to see sparkles of tears covering his anxious eyes. Anxiety was clearly obvious on their faces.

The old lady walked with heavy steps and slowly sat on a bench in between.

'' She never had a friend other than Lea'', said Sally's grandma. '' The day she woke up in hospital was a day of glory. She was the only survivor from that damned accident. I have lost a son there. Yes, but the Lord have compensated me with an adorable all-loving granddaughter. She was ten that year. She woke up after 2 months of the accident. I begged God day and night to let her live and take me instead. Finally she opened her eyes.  It was a terrifying shock for her to know she was sleeping for that long, nonetheless, knowing she had lost her parents, oh my goodness, that stroke her completely into isolation. She refused to talk or speak to anyone for eight months. She was always alone. she ditched everything that might have interested a child her age that time. Sally blamed herself for her parent's death, and I have tried so many times to make her understand she had nothing to do with fate,  and things were just destined this way. ''

Sally's grandmother took a deep breath and continued, '' One day I heard her murmuring in her room. I came into the room and found Sally by herself talking to someone. someone that literary I couldn't see. someone that didn't exist. I freaked out but I didn't do anything. I was thankful and happy, my little girl had finally talked and best of all, she seemed happy. Later on, she started to act differently. She said her name wasn't Sally, and she was someone else. I thought maybe that was the age most kids pass through where usually they have imaginary friends. What made me worried was that the imaginary friend started to dominate most of the time and life of Sally, asserting it's existence in my little girl. A friend of mine suggested that Sally should see a therapist after all what she had gone through. And so I did. The therapist explained that what Sally was experiencing were syndromes of Schizophrenia. Sally was so broken down as a child where she reached a point she needed someone to compensate her great loss. She refused to talk to anyone because she felt that none would understand her. The only person who would is someone having the very same pain she was undergoing. And that is when her mind created Lea, a friend that shares her pain and understands her thoughts without having to express them. Lea was a character with a past, a present and no one knows whether she will go on to exist in the future. The psychologist assured that it was too dangerous for Sally to realize that the only friend she had simply existed in her mind. She recommended that we should pretend it existed till the right time for Sally to be strong enough and ready to accept the truth. ''

Mike and Sam stood there paralyzed. Both brothers now have realized they were in love with the same girl.

Mike offered Sally's grandma a drive back home. Despite insisting to stay, he convinced her it was better to leave and rest this night and he assured her that he will stay will Sally the while night.

''She means the world to me ma'am. I'm not letting any harm touch her. Please be sure of that.''

''You are a really fine gentleman and Sally is very lucky to have you''

'' I'm the lucky guy ma'am. Sally is the best thing that ever happened to me. I just wish I could make it up for her and just make her the happiest girl in the world. I ll do anything, anything ma'am, to see her smile back again.''

Mike opened the door for the old lady as she slowly dropped out of the car. He helped her to the door and wished she would sleep, and he promised he will update her if anything new occurred.

Mike was back to his car. He laid-back his head for two minutes, had flashbacks of the past months and couldn't believe what he has heard today. He couldn't bare to play the tough guy anymore; he leaned on the driving wheel and wept though in silence, but many drops of tears fell across the wheel trying to ease the pain squeezing him deep inside.

Sam was still sitting next to Sally's or Lea's room. Whatever her name was he did not care. He wants her back, his Lea; he wants her giggles back, her breathtaking laughter, her angelic smiles, her goofy and awkward way of reading character lines in books,  her unbelievably amusing nature that would keep him charmed for hours with her. He wanted to believe this day was merely a nightmare he would just wake up from anytime by now. His mind still refused to believe the truth because his heart was so bound to this girl whom he loved more than anything else in the world. He felt helpless! She was there alone and no one knows what torture she was suffering having discovered the truth. It was killing him to see her in pain. His eyes turned red and soon the redness covered most of his face.  He felt anger and pain simultaneously. Just at that moment, his brother popped out from nowhere and was standing before him.

♒♒♒♒♒♒♒♒♒♒♒♒♒

I will update soon. Please vote if u like and if you have any comments please feel free to write any. I know I'm not a prominent or a good writer but well since it's my first book I ll try my best for you to like.. Thanks for reading.