Chapter 7

When we walked out of the hallway ten minutes later, I walked behind Big Texas in a silent anger, fists clenched at my sides. I wanted to wrap my hands around her next and watch her skin turn blue. This thought scared me, as I've never contemplated homicide, but at that moment I frankly did not give a rat's ass.

To heck with these flipping quacks, I thought. At thought that was the clean version of what I was thinking.

Big Texas led me pass the recovery room I was in previously, and pass two other recovery rooms. I noticed the door was a crack open, giving me the opportunity to peer inside. Two people in white lab coats stood beside a sleeping body. I recognized the pale blonde hair and suddenly I wanted to rain hell down on everyone in a twenty mile radius.

"Why are you doing this?" I demanded. Big Texas merely glanced back at me, as if I accidently coughed and offended her.

"Because the world depends on it. It depends on you."

"If this is what the world wants then screw it," I retorted bitterly. "Release us. Please, all of us. The other kids you abducted too. They deserve a home, not –not this. Surely you have children of your own!"

"As a matter of fact, I do, and they are here benefiting the cause like you are," she said, and my face fell. They experimented on their own children too? I felt nauseated when Big Texas turned away from me and said observantly, "You seem awfully concerned for a bunch of strangers."

That was it. The point where I'd snap. They thought because I barely knew these kids that I shouldn't care about them?

"Kids!" I yelled at her now, blinded by fury. "They're just kids! Humans! This isn't how you treat humans!"

"Maximum, please-" she began in a firm tone.

"MY NAME IS MEGAN!" Rage seemed to be the one doing the thinking for me. Without hesitating, I shoved Big Texas away from me only, to my surprise, to throw her across the hallway where she skated across the floor like a hockey puck. Her body hit the wall where the hallway turned, remaining motionless.

My rage seeped out of me suddenly, and I inched across the floor to her. "Texas?" I whispered,.

Three whitecoats burst into the hallway then, one of them Pinky Waist taking one glance at Big Texas's limp body and me standing over her like the convicted murder. He looked alarmed for a brief second then reached down and grabbed the walkie-talkie at his skinny waist. "Code Maroon! Code Maroon! Subject 01-564 uncontained. Repeat, 01-564-"

I didn't dare stay long enough to hear the rest of the report before I was sprinting down the hallway, toward the scientists. Pinky Waist gave a scream that would have made me laugh in other circumstances before diving out of the way. I dashed into the room after the one of which they ran out, the room where Cassie rested. She was still unconscious when I hurried up to her... and nearly passed out.

She too had wings, except hers were white as an angel's. She looked so peaceful the way she rested that I didn't want to wake her for a second.

I gave myself a mental slap and grabbed her hand without the IV in it. "Cassie! Wake up! Wake up! We have to-"

Furry arms wrapped out me and lifted me off my feet. I recognized the stink from the monsters and began kicking and screaming, aiming for anything remotely groin-like. A soft laugh tickled my ear before something pricked my neck, admitting me to darkness once again.