The Morning After

Stevie shut the front door as quietly as she could; it was 8AM and she was about to do the walk of shame. Oh how she wished Lindsey wouldn't taunt her the way he did, daring to be as gorgeous and charming as he was. She would never be able to resist him. 

Putting her large sunglasses on, Stevie braced herself for impact. As she walked across the driveway, the sound of flashing cameras and yelling paparazzi grew louder. 

"Stevie! Stevie! Why were you spending the night with Lindsey? Are you two back together?" One paparazzi yelled at her. 

Stevie hesitated, keeping her eyes fixed on the ground, deciding if she should answer them or not. 

"Well? Are you?" Another asked. Stevie smiled to herself, recalling her unplanned night with Lindsey...

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

It has just gone half past 9 in the evening when the phone rang. "It's Lindsey. He says he needs to talk to you. Now." 

Stevie had downed the rest of her gin and coke, rolled her eyes and taken the phone from an amused Sharon. "Hello?" Stevie had said into the receiver. 

"Stevie? It's me." Lindsey had replied. 

"I know it's you, dumbass. Sharon just told me. It's getting late; what do you want?" Stevie listened as Lindsey took a few deep breaths before responding. 

"I've written a few new songs for my album and I was wondering if you'd come by and listen to them." 

Stevie was stunned. She'd barely spoken to Lindsey in the two years since they had finished Mirage and suddenly he wanted her opinion on his solo work? Something was defiantly up. 

"What's the catch?" Stevie asked. 

"No catch. Your opinion as a writer means a lot to me, that's all." 

Stevie still wasn't convinced. "And... I'm also pretty lonely. What with Carol leaving..." 

Gotcha. There's the catch. 

"Oh. So you're lonely and you want my company?" Stevie asked, smirking. Oh how the tables have turned. She could hear him gritting his teeth when he responded. 

"Yes. Please? I'd like to see you." 

After much debate and suspenseful agony on Lindsey's part, Stevie agreed to pay him a visit.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Stevie followed Lindsey into his studio, all too aware of the piercing eyes of Carol Ann. Photos of her and Lindsey were still hung everywhere, despite her having moved out a considerable amount of time ago. 

Lindsey motioned for Stevie to go into the studio - "Ladies first." - and she sat down at the mixing desk. 

"This is a great little studio, Linds. I really like it." 

Lindsey smiled, sitting beside her. "I'm glad you think so. So, are you ready to be critical?" He asked. 

Stevie grinned. "Don't worry; I'll be brutal." 

She sat back and closed her eyes. She listened as song after song hit her eardrums; first Slow Dancing, then Bang the Drum, followed by several other songs before finishing with Go Insane

Lindsey paused the tracks and Stevie opened her eyes. "Oh Lindsey... She hurt you so bad, baby." She reached over and caressed his cheek, making him shiver. 

"There is.. one more song. I'm not too sure who it's about. Maybe Carol, maybe... Anyway, you think you can help me figure it out?" Stevie nodded, closing her eyes again. 

As the pounding rhythm and sensual words of I Want You hit her hard, she felt Lindsey's arms wrap around her. She melted into him as he whispered into her ear: "I want you, I have for so long. I want you, was I right, was I wrong? I want you, through the pleasure and the pain. I want you, again and again..." 

Stevie opened her eyes and looked over her shoulder, up at Lindsey's face. As the song faded, his lips covered hers and all hell broke loose...

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Stevie finally looked at the paparazzi properly. "Listen, tell you what. I'll give each of you... $800 dollars. If you go put your cameras in the trunk of my car and never breathe a word of this to anyone." 

The paparazzi looked at each other. "Make it a $1000 each and you got a deal." 

Stevie smiled. "You play hardball... but okay." A few minutes and a few cheques later, Stevie was almost ready to leave. 

"So what were you doing at Lindsey's house then, huh?" 

The last paparazzi asked, handing his camera over to Stevie's driver. Stevie smiled a knowing smile and handed him the cheque. "Let's just say I was helping Lindsey... de-stress."