I Don't Deserve You

1978

Stevie sat in the hospital bed, staring blankly into space. It had been several hours since they'd preformed the operation and she'd been staring silently into oblivion ever since she'd come around. 

"It's all over with now, Ms Nicks. You don't have to worry about it anymore.

The doctor's words echoed cruelly in her mind; they mocked her, they taunted her. 

'Oh God, what have I done? '

So what if Don didn't want to know? Stevie could have cared for that sweet, innocent little baby herself. She could, she really could. She would have gotten clean, got off the drugs and settled down for a little bit... 

Lies - She was lying to herself again.

The sound of a door closing brought Stevie back to reality. She turned her tear stained face to her right, utterly astonished to see who stood there. Lindsey stood by the door, clutching a bunch of sunflowers to his chest. Oh, as if she needed more guilt weighing down her heart. Stevie hated herself. She didn't deserve Lindsey in her life. 

"I brought you sunflowers. 'Cause... sunflowers and your face fascinate me." 

Lindsey sang Stevie's lyrics to her and her face began to crumple. 

"Lindsey... oh my God, Lindsey what have I done?"

Lindsey dropped the flowers on the floor and rushed to Stevie's side. He wrapped his arms around her and she screamed into his chest.

A few hours later, a nurse came to inform Lindsey that visiting hours were long over; that he had to leave but was welcome to visit at the same time tomorrow. Opening the door, she found the discarded sunflowers on the floor. "Ms Nicks, would you like a vase for..." The nurse trailed off; she couldn't help but smile at the sight before. Lindsey and Stevie lay tangled up in each other on the little hospital bed, deeply asleep. Lindsey arms were wrapped protectively around Stevie small, fragile waist; Stevie's right hand clung to Lindsey's shirt, while the other rested on his stubble covered cheek. The nurse took the flowers and closed the door behind her. The click of the door stirred Stevie and she woke up. For a few seconds, she stared at Lindsey's sleeping face; she planted a small kiss on his lips, before drifting back to sleep.