Chapter 1 - The Dursleys

"Up, get up!" Aunt Petunia's shrill voice echoed in my ears, waking me up from a dream of a funny flying motorbike and other things, already forgotten.

I sat up and looked over at my twin brother Harry. His jet black hair sticking up in all directions, showing the lightning scar on his forehead. We both had that scar, a reminder of the car crash that killed out parents. We were both too young to remember them or the crash.

"Get up now!" Aunt Petunia rapped on the door again, bringing me out of my thoughts.

Harry grabbed his glasses and we both struggled to get out of the tiny cupboard, hidden away under the stairs. Our slightly older cousin, Dudley, was running up and down the stairs sending dust onto Harry and I. What a lovely way to wake up.

After escaping the small space we sleepily walked over to the kitchen, to make breakfast for the Dursleys.

"Look after the bacon, and don't burn it. I want everything perfect on my little Duddy's birthday." Aunt Petunia instructed.

I rolled my eyes, but did what she said. I didn't need another week trapped under those dirty old stairs. Harry apparently had the same logic as me because he started on the bacon. I started some eggs, trying my best not to burn anything.

Uncle Vernon walked into the room, looking at the cooking food for anything to criticize.

"Don't burn anything!" He barked at us.

"What a nice morning." I said sarcastically to Harry, once Uncle Vernon had left the room.

"It's always the same around here." Harry sighed, while flipping the bacon.

As we put the breakfast on the table, that was crowded with presents, Dudley finished counting his presents.

"Thirty-six? Last year I had thirty-seven!" He complained his face going red.

"Oh Dudleykins! We can buy you two more presents today!" Aunt Petunia squeaked, to her spoiled son.

Dudley nodded, his face going back to its pinkish colour as he ate all the food in sight. Harry and I waited for the scraps that the pig didn't eat.

The phone rang and Petunia answered it. Dudley started opening his presents, ripping the wrapping paper off and tossing it aside, his watery blue eyes inspecting whatever toy he got. Aunt Petunia came back into the room, looking quite stressed.

"Vernon, there's bad news," she said. "Mrs Figg's broken her leg, she can't take them." She pointed in our direction.

Dudley dropped his present, horror all over his face. Harry and I exchanged an excited look. We never had fun at Mrs Figgs, she was just a mad old lady. We hated there, it smelled funny and she just showed us cat pictures.

"Now what," Vernon said his face crinkling together, "everyone's gone, or hates them!"

"I don't want them to come, they ruin everything!" Dudley cried his face going red. Any second he would throw a tantrum.

"We could stay here," I suggested, "...we won't do anything bad." I looked at Harry and he nodded for reassurance.

"No. That's not happening." Vernon stated looking at the two of us.

"They'll have to come with us then," Petunia said, "there's nothing else we can do."

Vernon sighed and dragged a chubby hand through his hair.

"Fine they'll come," he looked over at us, pointing one of his chubby fingers, "but any funny business and you'll both be locked in that cupboard until Christmas."