Chapter Twelve

I ran out of the house and ran to the Salvatore house, I knew Tyler took her but I knew it wasn't safe to go alone.

After I told Elena what happened, she sent Stefan, Damon, and Jeremy with me. We got geared up for a fight.

What worried me the most was how Esther was doing. This could be a traumatic experience that changes her life forever, something compulsion couldn't take away.

Once we arrived at the Lockwood residence, we split up. Everyone was given an entrance, I was given the front. I threw the doors open, and my eyes frantically moved around the foyer.

I heard her laugh, I ran towards the sound. My heart was beating a million times a second. I just wanted my daughter in my arms.

"Alright Tyler! You've got me where you want me, just give her back!" I screamed

I waited for a response, I didn't get one.

Where else could they be?

"They aren't here, we've searched every inch of this house," Damon put his hand on my back

"No, that's not okay!" I snapped

"I need to find her," I broke into tears

"And we'll keep looking but you need to be strong so we can save her. Keep your head up, come one," he ushered me out of the house and back to his car

"Is there any place you'd think they'd be?" Jeremy asked

"Um there's the Lockwood cellar thing, Tyler would go there every full moon when he turned," I offered

Of course, when we arrived there was no sign of them.

"Maybe it wasn't Tyler, I'm going to the authorities and let them do their job," I said as I picked up the phone to call the police.

I wasn't giving up, I was thinking beyond my judgment. As soon as I came home to find my daughter gone, my brain told me it was Tyler so maybe I was wrong.

After hours with the police, I started to clean up my wrecked home. Once I got to cleaning up Esther's room I was exhausted. I picked up her favorite plush animal and smelled it. It smelled like her bath soap and hair. Tears started streaming down my cheeks and onto the caramel colored bear.

****

I woke up the next morning in her twin sized bed, my body hurt from being scrunched up.

As I was cleaning things up, I made a box of things that needed to go to my mother's house. I planned to take a few days off of work so I could focus on finding Esther.

Once I got to my mother's house, something felt off. Something felt different about the place I once called home. I unlocked the door and picked up the boxes again.

Nothing seemed to be out of place in the house, I just didn't feel safe.

"Mommy!" Esther called

"I'm coming baby," I ran to her voice.

This time it was real, she was here. I found her in my old room, she was playing with a doll from home. The world came off of my shoulders as I held her in my arms.

I finally found her.