The Raven Girl- chapter 29

Start from the beginning

“That’s fine, I can do that.”

“Dante are you serious? You’ve spent a good amount of time convincing me that the immortal realm is where I belong, now suddenly you want to take a road trip up into the mortal world. You’re not exactly being consistent Dante and consistency is an important aspect that is shared between married couples.”

“So is sex but you don’t see me complaining.”

“Abstinence is a virtue dear.”

“I could have you any time I wanted.” Dante smiled pinning me back against the cushions.

I hesitated and snapped, “So are we going to go and find this sword or not?”

Dante stared at me.

“If I take you up to the mortal world, you must promise one thing.”

“Anything.”

“Do not runaway.”

“There’s nothing left in that world for me to run too.” I replied bitterly.

Dante eyes narrowed and his jaw tensed. I raised my hand over my mouth and sarcastically said, “Whoops, sorry, I forgot I’m supposed to hide all this pent up angst about my forgotten family and fake life.”

“That wasn’t my making.” Dante snapped darkly.

Then why did I runaway? I didn’t say it out loud. I needed Dante to trust me enough to go and see Nessie. Instead I forced away all those feelings of animosity and smiled. Kissing Dante lightly on the nose I said,

“I know honey.”

Dante must have picked up on the insincerity in my voice because he abruptly rolled off the bed and left the room without making any excuse to leave. I squeezed my eyes shut, great, well played Ebony, now you’ve really pissed him off. Laying back against the pillows I shut my eyes for a few minutes. I wanted to clear my head. So many bad things had happened or rather had been revealed to me since I got here. I wondered if events could possibly get any worse. Suddenly I felt sleepy, unnatural sleepy.

“Those wings are nuisance.” Dante voice rang coldly through my mind.

I opened my eyes and I was stood in another part of the castle in a different time. The clothes were different, I was different and so was Dante.

“My wings?” I asked touching my shoulder.

“Your brother has explained about your deformity or rather your inability to shift.” Dante said cooly.

I caught a glimpse of my reflection in the far off window, my black wings folded behind me gently like a Christian angel. I always thought they were beautiful, I never thought of them as a deformity. Where I came from in the forest there was no concept of ugly and beautiful because that was not the way in which nature worked. To me a flower was no more prettier than the thorns that protected it but here in this court everything was judged by the vampire criteria of beauty and my wings had been deemed ugly by the crowd.

“Your Highness,” I said respectfully, “What am I to do to please you? I cannot will my wings away.”

“Ebony I would like you to meet someone this afternoon. He is a human doctor I found in the mortal world who deals with amputations. He would be willing to amputate your wings so you would look even more beautiful.” Dante said.

“What does amputate mean?” I asked.

“To remove surgically.”

“I still don’t understand.”