Chapter 9

Unedited.

"Carter!"

The name rips from my throat in a scream. Oliver frowns in confusion as my hand fumbles for the door handle.

"Oliver, help him! It's Carter! He's... Oh my god! Call an ambulance!" I fall out of the car and crawl towards the bloody Carter.

"Carter, hey, I need you to keep your eyes open for me okay?" I rush, flailing my arms about, not knowing where to put them without hurting him.

"Oliver!"

Oliver snaps out of whatever trance he's in when I scream his name and he rushes to Carter's other side. Carter heaves in a breath when I lift his shirt to assess the cuts. They're deep. Like someone had carved into him with a knife.

"Carter, what happened? What's going on? Fuck!" Oliver is full on panicking, his hands shaking and his breathing shallow.

"Oliver, I can handle this, call a fucking ambulance!" He doesn't acknowledge me and his breathing picks up rapidly. His face pales and his forehead glistens with sweat, that's when I realise he's having a panic attack. I curse loudly.

"Oliver, listen to my voice, breathe, take deep breaths. Come on you can do it, good job, baby. I need you to calm down. I've got everything under control, just breathe and listen to my voice."

As I'm trying to calm Oliver down my hands are ripping the material of my shirt and I'm putting pressure on the gashes on Carter's chest and stomach. His eyes start drooping shut and I tell him to stay with me, that I need him to stay awake.

"Oliver, I need you to go to the car and phone an ambulance, can you do that for me?" His breathing had started to even out but he was still shaking out of control. He nods with wide eyes before sprinting to the passenger side of the car and doing what I told him to. By this point my Minnie Mouse pyjama's are stained with Carter's blood.

"Help will be here soon, Carter. Just stay with me, do not close your eyes. Can you speak?" He groans but croaks out a very faint yes.

"Okay. I need you to tell me what happened." I coax, switching the bloody material from one cut to another and applying pressure. The bleeding is starting to decrease but it's still leaking from his open cuts. In the background I hear Oliver rambling on the phone to the services.

"They tried to make me hurt her... I couldn't do it," he coughs. "So they... dragged me to a..."

"To a what, Carter, I need to tell the police."

"No, you can't tell them, they'll kill her," Carter's voice starts getting quieter. "Promise me..." He gasps before coughing again. This time blood trickles from his mouth. I tell him to quit talking and that I won't tell as long as he stays awake.

"Oliver, are you okay?" I call over my shoulder as Carter struggles to keep his eyes open. I hear a faint yes.

"I need you to take off your shirt and bring it to me. Look at my eyes, nowhere else, everything is going to be okay," I command. He does what I tell him to and brings me his shirt without once looking at his brother who's on the verge of death. I take the shirt from him and tell him to go back to the car and put the fleece over his shoulders. He does so without argument.

I turn back to Carter, his good eye is half closed.

"Hey, eyes open," I instruct gently. A sound of pain escapes him.

"I can't." He gasps.

"You need to, who else will protect her?"  I try, using what he told me against him while ripping Oliver's shirt to replace the soaked material of my own ripped shirt. I press the new material onto the deepest cut, the others have stopped bleeding but this one is still gushing.

"It hurts," he whimpers.

"I know but help is going to be here very soon," I say, taking hold of his uninjured hand to comfort him.

"I'm sorry," he cries. I shush him softly, squeezing his hand to tell him it's okay even though I don't know what he's sorry for.

"Tell Oliver that I'm sorry and I love him," tears start pouring from his good eye and my eyes fill up with my own tears as a lump forms in my throat.

"I won't tell him that, you will, when you're fixed up. Another reason to stay awake for me, Carter," the tears start bombing down my face as he lays on the floor, injured, crying and close to death.

Sirens start playing in the distance.

"See, Carter, they're almost here. We're going to get you fixed up so you can protect your girl okay? Just stay with me a few more minutes.

"Oliver! Everything okay?"
"No but I'm not having a panic attack anymore," he answers. Some of the weight lifts off my shoulders, knowing that I have at least one brother under control.

The sirens get louder as Carter struggles to stay conscious. I send him words of encouragement, squeezing his hand.

The ambulance finally appears and the paramedics push me away while loading Carter onto a stretcher and loading him into the vehicle. They ask if I'm riding with them, I tell them no and that I'll drive before rushing towards the drivers side of Oliver's car. The keys are still in the engine and I tell Oliver to buckle his seat belt and close his door before I make my way to the hospital.

A/N:
Thank you so so much for reading! You have no idea how much I appreciate it! I'd love you even more if you'd vote and comment, maybe even follow me? :3

Sorry for the pretty short chapter but I thought that was a good place to end it ready for the next chapter which will be a lot longer!

I won't be able to update until the weekend now with my GCSE results Thursday and stuff, so thank you for sticking with me, you're the best! c: xo