Chapter Four

My parents looked over at me, a question in their eyes.

"News alerts," I said, my voice strained.

The news app never alerted me unless something major had happened or, in this case, was currently happening. I nervously pick it up and opened the news app. I read the first headline aloud.

"Strange Voice On Planes Threatens World."

Well, that's one thing I already knew about. I continued to the other alerts.

"Terrorist Attack On the Golden Gate Bridge."

I gulped and read the rest of the alert.

"At around 4:15 PM an attack was placed on the Golden Gate bridge. It was bombed, and the alleged perpetrator does not seem to be with 'the voice.'"

It seemed like some were taking advantage of the voice's threats. My parents didn't seem especially surprised and nodded for me to read the last alert.

"More Threats Breaking Out By Same Voice on Planes."

I continued to read the alert, nervous at what to find. This voice seemed to be everywhere.

"The voice heard on the planes earlier today has issued another threat in the subways. This time, he said a subway somewhere in the United States will be blown up on a day within a week or two. The same threat was put in place as the planes: if the subways are stopped, bombs will rain down on an important place in each country. Officials seem to believe that these threats will be carried through. The Avengers have said they will try to stop this, but are unsure of how to. More information on these worldwide threats will be revealed tomorrow."

I looked to my parents, and saw them deep in thought.

"So," my dad said, "it sounds like the Avengers may need a little bit of help. Liz, we should head to COVER's head offices and set up a meeting with the Avengers and other important officials of SHIELD tomorrow. Straight away."

My mom nodded and then looked over to me, worry clouding her eyes. "Jenna, you aren't obligated to come with us, and we don't like the prospect of putting you in danger, but any and all help is welcomed. We know you are more than capable at taking care of yourself."

I set my jaw in a determined line. "Then I will come with you. Besides, it sounds like the meet and greet will be cancelled, and there wouldn't be any other way to meet the Avengers." I grinned. "I wouldn't pass up a chance for that."

My mom chuckled. "Of course not. Well, I suppose it's time to get to bed. We'll have to get dressed up in our 'agent suits.' You'll get one too." She winked.

I smiled faintly. Fatigue washed over me, and I slipped into bed.

"We will get up at 8 AM," my dad said as he sat down on his bed. "Goodnight, honey."

I nodded and soon fell into an uneasy sleep.

The beautiful sun was shining in through the shutters on the windows, casting a lazy light onto the ground. I sat up groggily, noticing my parents' beds were vacant. Squinting, my eyes adjusted to the room's bright lights, and I hopped out of bed. The memories from yesterday hit me like a wall, and I panicked for a moment. I noticed that the mirror was flipped back to reveal that secret room stashed with weapons. The gun I had placed on the nightstand was still there. I grabbed it and belted it on. Looking around for my parents, I searched the the secret room. It seemed larger than it had yesterday. I finally found my parents strapping on several weapons. I gasped.

My mom was in a tight leather suit, similar to what Natasha Romanoff wore. Her sleek, blonde hair cascaded down to her shoulders. To say she was beautiful would be an understatement. My dad was in a similar outfit fitted to his body, his jet black hair still messy from sleeping. They both had several weapons strapped to their belts, along with other helpful tools. Knives were strapped in semi hidden areas, some on their legs, arms, and back.