Darkness is the Hint

(Alex's POV)

"You're making wonderful progress, Alex." Lupin smiled as we walked out of his classroom. "You got a bit past the bone shifting." His pace was slow like he didn't want to leave the classroom.

My brows almost furrowed, but I stopped them. I didn't want Lupin to suspect I didn't get over every inch of the pain. "I'm glad I didn't let myself lose focus because of the pain." I smiled at him and saw the sun setting. I turned to Lupin and frowned. I now knew why Lupin was walking slowly out of the classroom.

He lifted my chin softly. "Don't worry. By the time the full moon rises I will be far away enough to keep everyone safe. I trust you can look after yourself."

I forced a smile. "Of course."

Lupin kissed my forehead and walked out of the room. "Be sure to study," he called back at me. His walk was full of pride, but I sensed a bit of fear in it. He never did like nights like this. It was like Lupin was softly trying to whisper a hint of something in my ear.

I shivered a bit and walked to my room to grab my broom. Flying always pushed away stress, so I flew over the nearby forest. However, the thought of how to improve my focus on spells and potions took over my mind. The homework Snape has assigned can be done in the morning. I can study Lupin's creatures an hour before I go to sleep. It's not as bad as I thought. The tip of my broom hit the peak of a tree. My arm hit a branch as I fell and I closed my eyes tightly when I saw the ground. My body hit the a soft ground and I slowly opened my eyes. Oh no... I've landed on someone...

"I'm sorry." His chest was beneath my face and I felt my head tilt up as he sat up.

"I didn't expect someone from the sky to fall on me." He laughed.

Wait! I know that voice! I looked up at blue eyes, and my eyes widened.

Fred scratched his nose and smiled back at me. "Oh. McWilliams. This is quite a surprise."

"Yes... It is." I slowly nodded. My eyes looked over every inch of his face to make sure he was Fred.

He gently stroked the back of my head. "Are you all right? That was quite a bit of a fall." He smiled. "I wouldn't want you to be hurt anywhere." His hand followed a path from the back of my head to my chin, slowly lifting it. "You can't go on an adventure with George and me if you're hurt."

My arm couldn't hold myself up anymore, and I fell on my right side. "Well, I just fell off my broom and hit a branch." I held my arm and tried to sit up. "And I guess my arm is hurt. It's not a big deal. I'm probably better than it seems." I tried not to make eye contact with him.

"Your ankle looks pretty bad too." Fred poked it and I winced. He gave a sort of wincing face. "Sorry." He smiled at me with eyes that told me he felt bad for me. He got up and grabbed my broom. "Hold this." I grabbed it and he lifted me into his arms. "It's not the fastest way back, but it'll get us there faster than if you walk."

"Thank you." I smiled at him, lowering my head. "Sorry that you have to waste time on me."

"No problem. Not a waste of time at all." He looked at me as he walked through the dark forest. He cleared his throat. "So you've fallen for Georgie, haven't you?"

I grinned, looking away. "What?! What are you talking about? Pfft. I wouldn't say fallen. I mean I wouldn't say anything really. We're just great friends."

"Heh, well that's pretty unfortunate." He kept his eyes straight ahead, yet he smiled. It was like he was trying to tell me something beyond what he was actually saying. He looked at me and winked.