Prologue

The worst part of leaving from vacation during summer vacation is the realization of how close school is. You turn on the TV to see back to school commercials, school supplies being advertised with huge sale signs and the cries of students within a hundred mile radius.

A purple suitcase laid packed and zipped up on the made hotel bed. Footsteps rushed back and forth behind me and the chatter due to being stressed begins to build up on me.

¨Hurry and get the bags in the car, honey.¨ Mom said looking over my shoulder. She handed me two more bags, the keys to the car then heads off to stressing out more.

We've spent one week in a small resort in Punta Cana, an island in the Dominican Republic. My family which contained my mom, my dad and younger brother were excited but now we're just stressing out. All I really did was read, listen to music at the pool and/or beach and played my violin. We did more like kayaking, riding in a dune buggy, visited San Domingo and played beach volleyball. Though, I prefer to relax more on a vacation , but adventure here and there is fine. Keeps the adrenaline running.

Now, all I was doing was dragging three bags to our rental car. Not the most exciting thing I could've been doing, but it's better than just standing in that hotel room and spacing out.

¨Hey butthead!¨ My head shot up to see my younger brother Luca leaning over the balcony railing. ¨Hurry up, we've got more bags we need help with.¨

I threw the bags in the back. ¨You don't have the right to dictate me because I'm your older sister.¨

¨By only two years.¨ He stuck his tongue out. Before I could scold him for his disrespectful mouth gesture, he was walking back into the room.

My hair whipped in the wind as I look at the palm trees and orange topped resort houses. The weather is sunny and warm, like being kissed by the sun everyday. You can see the ocean through the cracks of two houses and the baby blue from of it shines with freedom. Look closer, and the dark blue far away shines with mystery. I wouldn't have minded swinging on a hammock everyday here for the rest of my life.

Once I was through with my luggage taking slave work, we were ready to head to the airport. Part of me just wants to go home because I just miss my room and then the other part doesn't because I have to sit next to a stranger on a plane. Nice job Dad.

¨Goodbye Punta Cana!¨ Dad sang. ¨Hello United State of America!¨

♬♪♫ ヾ(*・。・)ノ ♬♪♫

We reached the waiting room area to board forty minutes before. The good part about it is that it gives me time to charge my phone before the flight. Even though Mom said there's an outlet on the plane I still took advantage of the nearby outlet. I sat with my phone charging and my violin between my legs to keep it from falling.

¨Did you practice this morning?¨ Dad asked me.

I nod my head. ¨Vivaldi's Violin Concerto in A Minor.¨ I showed him the page in my Suzuki book and quickly closed it.

¨One of my favorites.¨ He smiled.

When my dad was younger he used to play violin and was pretty amazing at it. He was about to apply for Juilliard when he met my mother and wouldn't ever leave her side. She applied for a college in San Francisco and he applied for the same one. When he got in with a music scholarship, he would do anything to get my moms attention and he was so happy when they finally started dating. A year out of college and two years of being married they had me. My dad then decided to go into a field of business to not become famous and always travel. Then I just followed his footsteps and took up the violin at three years old.