Time & Agony

1 year and 6 months since Punta Cana

I waited for the envelope to reach my mailbox for a month since the audition so far. All I thought about was the audition and preparing for it. Now, I think about is the letter about my audition and to see if I got in or not. The time and agony this whole thing is making me feel sucks.

"She's been up in her room studying and constantly checking the mailbox. I feel sorry for her." I hear my mom talk to my aunt about my recent days spent in my room. "I just wished the letter gets here soon before she tears herself apart."

"What she needs," My aunt Opal begins, "is a spa day. She's a teenager, she needs to find relaxation. Let me take her out tomorrow at this spa in the city. It'll be loads of fun. Lilo will be calm, cool and collected by the time we get back."

There was a moment of silence before Mom said, "Okay, make sure of it. I don't know what to do if this doesn't work."

♬♪♫ (*・。・) ♬♪♫

Aunt Opal comes into my room the next morning asking if I wanted to go into the city with her.

"Okay." I grumble, rolling out my bed in my clothes from yesterday.

Aunt Opal is my dad's sister that lives in Seattle. She comes to visit occasionally, but came because Mom called to see if she can help with me. I've loved Aunt Opal ever since I was a young girl. We didn't have that much of an age difference, but for ten years. I was always able to connect to her the best because she always knew what I was going through, but not this time.

We pile onto the Metra to go into the main city to some spa. Aunt Opal was always excited to take me to the city because 1) she always loved to explore and 2) Mom and Dad would never take me to the city themselves so I always went with Opal.

"You're going to love it, Lilo. It smells of pine trees and vanilla right when you walk in. The workers give you hot towel right before you leave and complimentary beauty kit. It's like heaven on Earth." Opal rambles on how wonderful the place is, but I just stare out the window wondering if the letter is on the kitchen table and I'm not there to open it.

I feel bad about Opal having to stay with me while I'm under this airplane mode mood. I'm disabling all connection from the outside world and floating in this oblivion. Now here she is, trying to cheer me up while I watch the trees zip past me in an instant.

When we reach the main city, the two of us get off and walk to the spa that is two blocks away. The hundreds of people walking past us make me feel claustrophobic. Opal grabs my hand while we weave our way past the random city goers.

"Here we are!" Opal said, opening the door for me. "Go on, they don't bite."

I trudge inside the building and I'm to the pine tree and vanilla smell. The front desk lady asks Opal for her name and her reservation time.

"Alright, we'll be ready for you in just a short moment. Please, help yourselves to the complimentary pastries." The lady indicates with an arm open gesture to a table with snacks.

The sudden mention of food wakes me up. When the lady behind the counter goes to the back, I rush to the table and stuff my face in a chocolate chip cookie. The gooey chocolate fills my mouth with delight.

"Amazing." I say, with my mouth still half full. I take a seat next to her in one of the bright green chairs in the waiting room. "This place is... commendable."

Opal nods at my comment. "Very." She taps on her thighs and gets all excited. "So, are you excited! I got us facials and massages! Oh Lilo, you're going to love it. They have one in Seattle and I just love giving myself a treat to go there."