"- he told you we kissed?" I asked in disbelief. Does Francis know how to keep his mouth shut? Oh good God.

"- my brother didn't put any details, trust me," Juliette defended, "but my God did he talk to me like he was love-struck! He said something along the lines of 'I've kissed many lips before, but hers I don't think I'd ever get tired of!' Eleanor, you should have seen him. When you were comatose, I've never seen him so worried. Duchamp tried to comfort him with what she does best, but he refused her. I know because I walked into his room as he rejected her. To see her turn beet red like that, oh it was heaven! Anyway," she said, composing herself from her excitement, though I didn't mind it at all, "he would leave to see you as often as he could. Of course he had other things to attend to, but he was so concerned. I truly think he has affections for you, Eleanor. The way he looks at you as you walk by, like yesterday! As we walked through the halls. After you two exchanged a passing greeting, I turned around to tell him something but the way he looked as you walked away made me forget. I saw not just passion and desire but love. He even smiled to himself before he caught me looking at him." Juliette let out a giggle, probably remembering how embarrassed he looked.

I gave her faint smile, trying to find the right words. "Juliette, we . . . me and your brother . . . we have agreed to keep this relationship platonic. There will be nothing said about a marriage alliance in the order we will sign in two days. If he truly wants me to be his wife and queen, then he must do it properly with time, not rush into it. Now," I said, standing back up. "Let's go back inside. It's getting dark soon."

With that awful effort to end the discussion, I made my back to the palace. Juliette followed me instantly, but she muttered something under her breath.

"I hope you know what you're doing."

****

"Don't forget I'm going to help you choose a dress for the signing," Juliette said as she exited my room. Once the door closed behind her, I let out a sigh. I wasn't tired of her company, I just had so much to do now that I'm back on my feet. I made my way over to my bed, where my riding outfit was laid out for me. I will not like, I don't want to be going out as the sun is setting from outside my window, but the darkness that is soon to follow will perfectly mask my riding company.

I just finished lacing my boots when a knock came at my door. "Majesty," called out Buckingham. Right on time.

We made our way to the stables, where five guards waited on their steeds for our arrival. I wanted to make this trip fast, and the anxiousness to return the Orb to its rightful resting place in the Catacombs was not helping me.

"Eleanor . . ."

"Yes, Buckingham," I asked, not wanting to waste a moment to stop and talk. "While you were gone . . ."

I was paying clear attention to what he was saying but the last part I did not quite hear, for he murmured it so quietly. "What was that?"

Buckingham took a deep breath from next me, as if unsure of what he will repeat will be taken accordingly. "The . . . the Orb was . . . your aunt took the Orb, Eleanor."

Silence filled the void as I soon felt my lips turn up in an innocent smile. Buckingham had no clue where we were going, did he? "Buckingham, do you remember how I established a number of protocols in the beginning of my reign?"

"Yes . . ."

"Do you remember a certain one regarding the Orb?"

I did not stop once to wait for Buckingham to figure it out, but he did. He stopped, allowing me to be at least a few feet ahead of him when realization hit him, and he expressed it verbally.