11~ Violin Concerto

Clarissa and Damien's paths didn't actually cross again for the following week, despite living next door, for the most part at least. A couple of very fast exchanges in the hall as Damien ran by - once while he was being chased by Dante (which would have been funny if it hadn't been weird).

Regardless of the strangeness of her new neighbours, the following week was normal. Uni was starting to pile on second year homework.

She had also made up with Brett.

Since they're disagreement and their make-up, they had one other event to attend. Brett had been so attentive to everything about her that evening it had almost been overbearing, but she had chosen a dress of her own pick and he'd taken her home when she wanted to leave, even if it was right in the middle of him talking to his father's associates.

The change was quite the relief.

And then he forgot he was supposed to be meeting her for dinner Saturday night because of work colleagues and Clarissa sat like a moron for an hour in a restaurant while the wait staff (who knew them because they'd been there several times) shot her worried looks and whispered to each other as they passed while others customers tried to be subtle while staring at her.

"Has Adam ever stood you up?" Clarissa snarled, slamming the door to her apartment closed behind her and sending both Adam and Miffy launching off the sofa in fright as Charlotte looked up from the kitchen.

"Stood me up?" she copied, staring at her, then her eyes widened. "Are you serious?! That's why you're home already?"

She slammed down the knife she was using, half way through preparing dinner and wiped her hands on a dishtowel as she stormed out across the living room, taking Clarissa's handbag for her as Clarissa wrenched off her shoes, already untying the halter neck of her red dress and wriggling out of it as she passed Adam, walking into her room to change into a massive jumper.

Her phone went off as she was wiping off her make-up and before she could go back out to it, Charlotte answered.

Judging by her response to the caller, Clarissa knew it was Brett.

"Call again tonight and I swear to God I'll kick your balls so high up into your body you'll be able to pleasure yourself!" she snarled down the phone and promptly hung up.

"Ok, no need for threats," Clarissa said, coming back out, make-up off and hair knotted at the back of her head, feet stuffed into fluffy boots.

"I'll do what I want, he pissed me off," Charlotte snapped, handing her purse over and stalking back into the kitchen, snatching up the knife. "Standing a date up? Why?!"

"He was held up by colleagues?"

"Elaborate."

Clarissa sighed as she dropped down onto the sofa and Adam pulled her feet up onto his lap, rubbing her leg while Miffy curled up on her lap. "He went out drinking with some of the guys so they could keep on discussing some business deal."

"He stood you up to go drinking with the guys?!" Charlotte cried, attacking a defenceless carrot with such force, the top shot across the kitchen.

"You only heard haft the details, Char."

"Of course I did. I'm biased towards the boy," Charlotte replied. "Did you get anything to eat?"

"Nah, wasn't hungry," Clarissa said, leaning back against the armrest just before a massive thud resounded from next door making everyone jump and look towards the bedrooms and Damien's flat beyond.