Wattpad Original
There are 4 more free parts

5.3 Just Listen

Quinn found me in the basement the next day, dancing ballet to Megan Thee Stallion. My Grand Adage was nearly ruined when she opened the door.

Sweating, I pulled out my ear buds and grabbed my water bottle. "I told Trina not to let you in."

"I know. But I brought those Godiva chocolates she likes." Tough crowd, she mouthed, scratching her head in the awkward silence. "I brought your favorite ice cream too, salted caramel... Look, Ali, you have every right to be upset. And I get it—"

"You really don't." I dotted my face with a towel. "I'm not upset that you and Tyler had a... thing. But I am mad that you pretended not to know each other."

Quinn winced. "And you should be mad. That was such a shitty thing to do, A. I'm so fucking sorry."

"Quinn, you and Tyler should know by now that you can always tell me the truth. Even if you think I don't want to hear it."

"I know. You're right. Tyler and I screwed up. It was one stupid night. Tyler was in town; we just bumped into each other. I missed my dad, he was lonely, and a celebrity... We felt so terrible afterwards." Quinn's face was splotchy. Her cheeks and nose were red from crying, and she was still beautiful. "I should have told him who I was, but I didn't... I just used the things you said about him to make him like me. And it worked, for about ten minutes."

"Ew, please spare me the play-by-play. Why did you do it? I understand lying to me, but why did you lie to Tyler too?"

"He likes you. Even then, the way he found a reason to bring you up in every conversation, I felt it. And, I guess, I just wanted someone to feel that way about me too. Even if just for a second. There were so many times I wanted to tell you the truth. I guess I didn't tell you because I was ashamed." Quinn walked back to the door. "Anyway, that's all I really came to say. If you don't wanna be friends anymore, I understand. And if you drop out of the talent show, I'll understand that too."

"I really hate what you did," I said, playing with the cap of my water bottle. "And not because you slept with Tyler. It's because I can't trust you anymore, Q. I understand if you both needed someone that night. But you haven't been here for me."

Quinn nodded in silence, rubbing her elbow as she gazed at the floor.

"I won't drop out of the talent show, but I think senior year is it for us.

She took a deep shuddering breath and nodded. "You're right. I think I kind of knew this was coming..."

Quinn had used me to get to Tyler and then lied about knowing him. Even before that there were moments where our relationship was put to the test. Sometimes friendships have a shelf life.

She didn't care that I was sweaty or that my hair was wet. Quinn threw her arms around me and I knew that hug was one of the last we had left.

"I already fucking miss you, A."

"Miss you too."

Quinn sniffed and stepped back, still gripping my arms. "Did I mention Robin's bathroom burned down after the party?" She chuckled, wiping the tears from her eyes. "I still talk to a few girls on the squad. They said her parents cut up her credit cards and threatened to send her to boarding school. Can you believe it?"

If there is a goddess, her name is Karma.

***

Monday morning, I drifted from one class to the next, hollow inside, like a zombie that had ghost for breakfast. The only time I really felt awake, tethered to something in a world I was beginning to understand less and less, was during a random, meaningless moment in the hallway.