Chapter 14: Derek's POV

Derek's POV
The war is won and I head over to the rebellion infirmary which has now been moved into one of the old apartment buildings. I walk down the hall to room 27 where the girl I love has been staying, when I walk in I see her sitting on a chair with scars all over her and missing toes from a bullet wound. Her right finger is still gone, reminding me of them and what they did to her. Her left arm has a large scar going down the full length of her limb, this wound had left her with barely any blood resulting in several people donating some to her. An eyepatch lays over her right eye for she has been left blind there by the stab of a pocket knife. She has a broken jaw that is nearly done healing from the break.
Lea Clen was a beautiful girl, and still in my mind she is, for her inside self is beautiful, but no one will get close enough to see it, to see her true colors like I have.
War has scarred us all. Some have missing limbs from bombs, some have breaths that are merely wheezes from the large amounts of smoke they had once devoured when running, but no one appears like Lea Clen. Yet still I run up to her and embrace her in a hug. She embraces me back, crying into my shoulder as she does so. We kiss and in this kiss she tells me all her days of struggle without speaking a word. We continue kissing until she falls asleep. I then pick her up and gently place her in her bed.
Tori and Ellie walk in. They give hugs to the silent girl that slowly pulls Lea from her slumber.
"Hey Lea!" Yells Ellie embracing her friend yet again.
"How're ya?!"
Lea mumbles something unrecognizable and lifts up her hands for some reason. She murmurs a little longer before saying the words "Handshake?" slightly audibly.
Ellie smiles and they perform their modified version of the handshake for an injured girl in bed.
We all smile as we feel hope spread across the room.