Chapter 7: More bruises

Once I enter the building I see the opposite of what I expected. Everyone's packed together as tight as they can be. The country's have always been so organized with everything. Even with the death choosing ceremony, everyone dies on their given date (except for my dad). I never thought things could be so disorganized. I hate to say it but I find myself smiling at this information, I guess it will be easier to attack the centre building than I thought.

I stop smiling and turn to read Derek's expression. I see a little grin on his face, but once he notices me staring at me he snarls and says "What are you looking at, stupid?"
I hesitate for a second thinking of an amazing comeback but nothing comes to mind so I quietly say "Nothing."
He thinks of something to say immediately "Ha, wimp." He doesn't say it the way he wanted to though. I bet he meant to sound powerful but really, he sounds more like a wimp than I do.

The last alarm sounds. the large doors automatically swing close. I can't believe we can all fit in here. This building must have all 10 stories filled with people from country 10 citizens.

Someone taps me on my back. I turn around to find a bruised girl with chunks of hair missing from her head. A tear runs down her cheek. She says nothing, she just stands there letting my eyes look at every single scratch and bruise on her. And then it hits me this girl is my friend.

Tori.

It's  Tori.
The girl with the bruises is my new friend.
Besides the chatter of the others of country 10 the room was silent, but that was only to us. I'm the one to break our silence.
"What happened!"
Tori shakes her head, more tears swell up in her eyes. Her once tall, proud stature seems so small. She wipes the tears off her face and straightens her posture.
"Why won't she use her hand thing." I say.
"She can't." He says. "Sign language requires 10 fingers."
I look down at my hands, and sure enough her index finger has been cut off and stitched up on either hand.
"Oh my gosh, Tori." I pull her into a hug.
"Who did this to you?" I ask though I believe I know.
"They did." Says Derek he points to the speakers.
"Why?" I say.
"Because she uses sign language to speak, it's illegal."

***

Ten minutes later a voice begins to echo around the room. It's coming out of the speaker. They are on the other side of that speaker with the microphone.
A calm cool voice begins to speak. It's the voice of a woman.
"Hello citizens of country 10. Welcome to the center building. Here in country 10 we give you a lot of chances and choices. We provide food shelter and a safe environment. All we ask is that you take this into account and understand how fortunate you are to live a lovely life in the 1-10 system. Recently some of you have been forgetting how fortunate you are and have made poor choices. For example some have been vandalizing property, stealing what is not needed, and even trying to find a path around your choices. We ask that you take this into consideration and do not do things as foolish as these. There will be consequences. Thank you for your time." She says finally.
"Thank you for your knowledge" the whole country replies in a monotone.
Thank you for your stupidity, I think.

******

I head to the wall where the words were sprayed across the wall, but there's no trace of them. All there is, is a blank stone wall. Even the empty spray cans are gone. No evidence remains. I stare at the wall for a couple minutes more, as if I expect the words to reappear in front of my very own eyes. My mouth gapes open the whole time. There's a tap on my shoulder, I turn around immediately, I already know who it is.
"Why did you do this to me!" I yell at Derek
He try's to get a hold of my arm as I turn away to run, but his grip is loose. I sprint as fast as I can, I keep running and running, on and on, I loose balance and tumble forwards, I get up, but right before I begin running again I feel a tug on my hair, I try to pull the locks free from Derek's grip but he doesn't budge. I sit down on the prickly grey grass, arms crossed. I probably look like a two year old pouting but I don't care.
He lets go and I "Why did you erase the words?" I say, I know he couldn't of done something like that but I need a reason why I had gotten mad with him earlier so I go with it.
"I didn't." He replies.
"Why did you put me in the kybo?" I whisper.
"To protect you."
"Why would you protect me." I say hopefully.
"Because........" He thinks
"Because..... I...... I.......like you." He says finally.
My heart pounds and my face relaxes.
"It's stupid." He says.
"No it's not" I say, I look straight into his eyes. They look deeper than ever.
"I....... I like you too."
I don't care that they could be watching and he doesn't either. He leans in and I follow, his lips touch me ear.
"I'm part of the rebellion." He says.
I nod.
"I am to."
"Let's go to the kybo." He says.