Chapter 2

-Patrick-

I brushed the ash off my clothes again in a pointless effort. It was everywhere. On the ground, in the air, miles above in the atmosphere. No escaping it.

Getting out of bed I yawn and look around the cold dark room, the fire dying in a soft orange red hue. I walked around the living room trying to wake myself up, brushing ash to the corners of the room with my feet. It may seem odd that my bed is where my couch use to be, but with today's weather, one must stay in a room with a fire place.

Once my body was awake and responsive, I walked through the kitchen looking for breakfast. My eyes grazed over the several cans I had left.

Almost out. I thought to myself as I grabbed a can of peaches.

I don't live lavishly or anything, I just do what I need to survive. I've done things I'm not proud of. Mostly steal food from unsuspecting people, but never enough for them notice. Only a can of whatever here and there. A bottle of water when they weren't looking. I don't really like the term "stealing" I prefer to call it a tax on the greedy. If they cared or had a heart, they would have gladly given it the first time I asked. You invite someone in your home for company and don't offer any food or beverages? That's fucking rude. Especially in this day and age.

I crawled back into bed and wrapped myself in blankets as I slowly ate my peaches one by one, sitting alone in near darkness. I need a cat or something. A furry animal that will cuddle with me and keep me warm and from getting lonely. I haven't seen another living person in over a month and I'm getting really tired of talking to myself. Its a really one sided conversation and I always know what I'm going to say.

I look outside and notice the sun starting to shine through the ash clouds and decide its time to get off my ass and go for a walk. Go to the park, take in some fresh, ash filled, rotting flesh scented air, maybe check out some places for food. You never know what you're going to find anymore.

I honestly don't know what to find out here. Chicago is long deserted and dead like the rest of the world. The dead lie on the streets and I'm looking for food?

I took small shallow breaths as I walked through the city, trying to breathe in as little of the ash filled dirty air. Its probably not really helping but its gotten harder to breathe since everything changed. I walked aimlessly until I came across City Hall. Out of curiosity, I went in. There were candles spread sporadically through the main lobby and you could hear hushed tones coming from another room.

I walked to the door where the voices were coming from and pressed my ear to the door.

"There's nobody left. Its time we start thinking about ourselves and leave." It sounded like a woman

"If there's anyone else, they deserve to know about it." The other voice sounded like a man.

"Did you not just hear me? There is nobody left. We need to leave."

"Do you think it actually exist? Its just a place you heard about."

"Leaving would be better than staying. We could stay here and die, or leave and have the possibility of surviving, even if that possibility is small. Its more than what we have here."

"Fine. We leave tomorrow."

What place? What are they talking about. I open the door to see their surprised faces.

"I told you there were still people here! Hello its nice to meet you. I'm Mayor Urie, but you can call me Brendon, and this is my wife Sarah." Brendon said.

"What place is she talking about?"

Brendon sighed.

"We've heard rumors of cities in the south faring better than we have here. Its warmer, there's electricity, and there's food. We are thinking about heading down there since most everyone here has either died or left long ago." Brendon explained.

"What cities? How many are there?" I asked.

"Phoenix, Arizona. Dallas, Texas. Houston, Texas. New Orleans, Louisiana. There may be more cities, they may not be there at all anymore. They are only rumors."

"Well its better than staying here. There's nothing left. I haven't seen anyone else in months." I said.

"Sarah gave up hope that there was anyone left. From what I've heard on national broadcast on the radio, things aren't going to get any better. Volcanoes all over the world are still erupting and ash is going up just as fast as its coming down, and temperatures are still dropping. At least the earthquakes have stopped. For now."

"Well shit. Its about time I move on anyways. Thanks Brendon."

"You're welcome um..."

"Patrick."

"You're welcome Patrick. Good luck."

"You too." I said as I turned around to head home.

Well this changes everything. I gotta leave this town.

------------------------------------------------------

I tried.
-Matthew