Chapter 11| Alexandra and Brianna

Dedicated to GreaterWorks for the lovely cover!

I blinked twice, then stared at the girl in front of me intently. Her shoulder length light brown hair was glossy and wavy, and seemed like it had taken hours to perfect. Her eyes were startlingly blue, cold and condescending, looking at me like something she had scraped off the back off her designer glittery ballet pumps. There was a light spattering of freckles on her cheeks, which she had tried to conceal with makeup.

"Are you going to say something, or are you just going to stand there and stare at me creepily?" she asked, after I had stared at her for a while. When I still didn't speak, she rolled her eyes. "Seriously Rosa, I knew you were dumb, but I had no idea you were that dumb. Pity though, I actually thought you were a worthy adversary. Guess we all make mistakes, huh?"

Who did the girl think she was? My left eye started to twitch, and I clenched my fists and gritted my teeth. She grinned and turned around, sashaying away. Who sashays anymore?

"Easy there tiger," said a voice behind me. Jacob. Honestly, this guard seemed to be popping up everywhere. I turned and realised that he had dried himself off and changed his clothes. He smelled like vanilla. Not I actually cared about what he smelled like.

"What do you want?" I sighed, realising a deep breath I hadn't even known I had been holding.

"I want you to stop glaring at me as if you want to drill a hole through my brain, for one thing."

"That depends," I smirked.

"On what?" he asked.

"On whether you have a brain in that thick skull of yours," I said, as we walked away from the throne room.

"I accept that I deserve that." He grinned ruefully. "I'm really sorry about your phone."

"Nah, it's no biggie," I said, waving a hand. "Just, you know, destroy a girl's only point of contact with the rest of the world, depriving her off her irretrievable contacts, her music, her games in which she has unbeatable high scores, then come and apologise, and everything will be right as rain."

"I'm guessing you're still not over that?"

I scowled at him. "Does it look like I'm 'over that?'?"

He tactfully changed the topic. "I see you met Brianna."

My brow creased. "Who's Brianna?"

"That girl you collided into."

"Oh."

Just then, a blur of fabric rushed past me and into Jacob's arms.

"Jakey!" The fabric had taken on the form of a little girl, who looked to about eight or nine, and was gazing up adoringly at Jacob, whilst clutching onto his clothes. He awkwardly disentangled himself from her grip. I chuckled, and he glared at me.

"Alexa," he grinned.

"I missed you," she said, hugging him tightly, her arms wrapped around his waist.

"I missed you too, Alexa."

"You were gone for, like, forever! You have to promise me you'll never disappear like that again."

He laughed. "It's kind of part of my job, so I can't promise anything. And I was only gone for a day."

"A day is 24 hours, which is practically a gazillion seconds!" I had to admit, the girl made sense. She let him go, and looked curiously at me, blue eyes wide. I had been standing there, awkwardly watching the reunion and wandering whether or not I should sneak away.