Chapter 7| Meeting King Richard (2)

For some reason, my phone wouldn't allow me to finish typing the other part, so I had to split it into two. Sorry for any inconvenience.

The first thing I saw when I entered the throne room was a giant. I'm not kidding, this man could rival a tree trunk in height and thickness. His beard was white, and flowed down his chest, and I instantly wanted to stroke it. His eyes were the most piercing shade of blue I'd seen, and he stared at me for quite a while when I entered. I stood there and stared right back, not knowing what to else to do.

"So you are the temporary Crown Princess, Rosa's twin?" he finally said. "I must say, the resemblance is quite striking."

I wondered who the man was, then shrugged. "I guess you could say I'm the chopped liver when your chocolate mousse is missing. What's it to you?"

He narrowed his blue orbs at me, and I internally cringed. Had I said something wrong already? All the guards in the room gasped, and I realised at once that I had said something very wrong.

"Do you know who you are speaking to, girl?" he hissed.

This is the part where I'm supposed to keep my mouth firmly shut and shake my head like a little girl. However, my body didn't seem to agree with my brain, so I said:

"I haven't been introduced yet, so no, I have no clue."

"I am King Richard the Third, ruler of Maldonia," he said, his eyes like two balls of ice.

A surprised 'oh' was all I could manage, my mouth opening and closing like a fish. No more words came out of it though. I mentally kicked myself. In my defence, he was wearing jeans and a shirt. I was expecting a robe and a sceptre; or at the very least a crown. Then again, he was sitting on a throne of what looked like solid gold, which I would have noticed sooner, had I not been staring at his beard.

The throne room was silent until he spoke again.

"What do make of the castle, girl? Do you like it?" He seemed curious as to what my answer would be, leaning forward slightly. I pondered over what I was going to say this time round; I didn't want a repeat of the past occurrences. I wanted to be honest, yet not rude.

This time, my mouth and brain seemed to have reached a sort of compromise, since the answer I gave was acceptable.

"It seems like a really nice place, Your Majesty, I just regret that I haven't seen more of it. I've been in my room the whole time I've been here."

"I'm glad you cooperated. I thought you'd make a fuss and insist that your mother be dragged her too." He chuckled as if he'd told a funny joke, and I frowned. Hadn't Henry told him about Mum yet?

"My mum is here with me..." I started to say, but trailed off when I saw the murderous expression on his face.

"What?" he bellowed. I winced, covering my ears.

"I wouldn't have come along without her. The only reason I'm here is help my sister to escape so we can all leave."

"Have you no manners, girl?" he hissed, narrowing his eyes at me again. It seemed to be his favourite expression.

I bristled at his insult. It wasn't compulsory for me to help out; the least he could do was be polite. Under normal circumstances, anybody else would probably glare at him, but keep their thoughts to themselves. I think it was pretty much established that my mouth didn't work that way.

"My name is Emily. E-M-I-L-Y. Emily. Not girl. And to answer your question, yes I do have manners, my mum has drilled them into me time and time again, but naturally, I'm not going to be thinking about my P's and Q's when my sister's missing, under your watch, might I add."

"Your mother," he whispered, his face getting progressively redder by the second, "is a good for nothing gold digger who seduced my son--"

I didn't allow him to finish, my temper getting the better of me.

"My mother is the sweetest woman I know. She would never marry for money. She brought me up right, and if my father ran away, it was most likely because of something you did!"

He blanched, and it looked as though I had knocked the wind out of him.

"Get. Out." He enunciated each word through gritted teeth, as if he was having a hard time keeping a rein on his temper.

"With pleasure." I curtsyed sarcastically, if that was even possible, and walked out of the room, head held high, shrugging off the guard who held my shoulder. Despite my blatant refusal of help, the guard escorted me to Rose's room. I slid down against the door and stared at the peach walls. It was then that the full impact if my foolish actions hit me.

I had snapped at the only chance I had of getting my sister back. If the King decided to send me back home and stop searching for her, it was all my fault.

"I am such an idiot!" I groaned as I stood up and got onto my bed. "Such an..." Before I could complete my statement, I was asleep.

BOOM! Say what? What do you guys think of King Richard? And Jacob. What about Adwoa? Today is probably a double update. Maybe...

Are there any boys reading this book? If there are, can I get a 'woot woot?'

I'm not getting any woot woots....