Chapter 2: Conversation

Peeta's POV:
I stand gazing out the window of the train, Katniss doesn't love me, it was all an act. She says some of it was real, most likely to ease the pain, but I'm no fool. Her boyfriend Gale must be mad, but he'll forgive Katniss once she says her side of the story.

I did everything I could for her, I nearly died for her, more than once if that can't change her feelings, nothing will. It hurts, but if she's happy I think I can live with it. We're nearly at twelve I just have to pretend for another hour or so, then it's over.

I hear a door open and someone walks in, probably Haymitch drunk again. I turn around and It turns out to be Katniss, I just turn again and ignore her.
"Peeta?" She asks.
"What is it?" I reply not even giving her the slightest glance.
"I, um I need to tell you something"

She can't possibly do anything worse than what she has already done, so I turn, giving her my full attention. I notice that she's been crying, nightmares most likely, I raise my eyebrows signalling for her to continue.

"What I said yesterday about what happened in the arena not being true, well, I-I" she stutters.
"Come on, spit it out" I tell her impatiently.
"I was wrong Peeta, I do love you"
She blushes and looks at her feet, I'm registering what she just said, no, it must be a lie, she is a liar and nothing changes that.
"Katniss, I don't need your sympathy, I get it, what you said was just another way to survive in the arena, I'm sorry I ever believed it"

"Peeta, I'm not lying! It's different now, I wasn't thinking straight and I know I was wrong, please believe me!"

"I want to believe you Katniss, really I do, but after what you pulled in the arena I just can't, it would be easier if you just go"

After turning away I stare out the window aimlessly, I hear a sob coming from Katniss as she goes, probably just another part of the act.

After half and hour we pull up to twelve , Katniss walks up to me not daring to speak a word.

"One more time? For the audience?" I ask her.
My voice is hollow, but I couldn't care less, Katniss takes my hand, gives a slight nod and surprisingly, grips my hand tightly. Although I am furious with her, I am dreading the moment I will finally have to let go.