"You can't –!" Valeris began to shout, but the King smoothly cut him off with a regal sweep of the hand.

"Lord Valeris appears overwhelmed by my generosity," he stated loudly to a nearby pair of guards. "Take him to the guest quarters and make sure he is comfortable. Give him some a bath and a rest, then see that he is attired properly for a wedding." He paused, and the two guards leapt in, quickly and efficiently closing in the young man before he had time to react.

The King met the new lord's eyes. His lips curved coolly, while his eyes glittered. She's mine now, he thought. And no one else will stand at her side. Not even you. "And see that he gets a fine gift from my armory. Let it not be said that I did not provide a fine bride price to my bride's family."

He watched as his guards removed the stunned man from his court. Satisfied, he clapped his hands. "Now, prepare for the wedding!" At once his advisors rushed into action, shouting orders to servants and preparing invitations to nobles. Despite all the activity, the King only had eyes for Aveline.

She remained motionless, her pale face slack in shock. The King swept up a delicate hand in his. "Don't be afraid, my dear," he murmured. His eyes dropped to her throat. She swallowed. He lifted a hand and lightly touched the side of her face. She gasped, trembling.

His eyes followed his fingers as he trailed them across her jawline, down the gentle slope of her throat to her collarbone. "So lovely," he breathed in wonder. "And mine."

A soft sound slipped past her lips. He took it be a whimper of pleasure. "Soon, my dove. But not yet – we shall be wed first."

She stiffened, but he did not notice. He was already calling for a tailor – the bride would need a wedding gown fit for a Queen.

XxX

The King did not remember a single word that was said during the ceremony. He only gazed into his bride's face, taken with her beauty. She had not said a word to him, and her eyes hadn't risen to meet his, but he only took it as nervousness. It was fine – for now, he could forgive her for her shyness. But after the wedding finished and was properly consummated, he expected her to act as a Queen should.

The Grand Hall fell silent. It was time. Lifting her veil with eager hands, the King bent to kiss his bride. Carefully cupping her face with his hands, he tasted the sweet flavor of her lips. She did not respond, even as he lingered. Then he drew back to the cheers of the guests. It was done.

He had a Queen.

The King turned to acknowledge his guests, but one in particular stood out. There, at the end of the red carpet, stood Lord Valeris. The young man, while dressed in the finery fit for a royal celebration, did not look like he was enjoying himself. In fact, he appeared distressed.

It did not matter. At this fine hour, this wondrous moment, the King didn't care. He grinned broadly and held out a hand.

"My Lord Valeris! Won't you congratulate us? Your sister – the queen, and I – your King?"

Valeris stepped forward in response. He glanced at the bride. The sight of her seemed to calm him, for every trace of distress vanished from his face.

He stopped before the King. He bent in a deep bow. "My King," he said softly, and took the King's offered hand with his left. The King smiled, pleased at the young Lord's show of respect. He had been right after all – give a man enough gifts and he'll become a loyal servant.

Valeris straightened, his hand still gripping the King's. He lifted his chin and met the King's eyes. And the King froze, for had never seen such coldness in another man's gaze.

"I congratulate you," Valeris said, loud enough to be heard, but flat enough to be dead. "Please, allow me to present you with a gift."

Valeris pulled him in close.

Something flashed. Someone screamed.

And the King staggered, his legs suddenly growing weak. In the far distance, he heard muffled shouting. And then he was falling. The floor was a long distance away and it took an eternity to reach it. But all the while he fell, he watched Valeris in confusion.

What....?

It took a lot of effort, because everything was growing dim at the edges. Why. . .? Suddenly alarmed that he couldn't see her, he tried to turn, to reach, to catch one last glimpse of her. But no matter how he tried to reach her, he couldn't move and the more he struggled the faster the world darkened and the faster he fell.

Farther and farther away from her he fell, until he forgot entirely what he was reaching for.