After a long moment, she lifted a slender hand. Her cool fingers lightly touched his. Before she could draw away, the King closed his hand over hers, holding it tight. She trembled. He smiled kindly, trying to reassure her. There was no need to be frightened of him – he would take care of her.

"Why have you called us here?"

The King stiffened at the sound of the young man's voice. Displeasure ran through his veins. It was only after he heard a soft gasp that he realized he had tightened his fingers around the girl's hand. He immediately released her, a small frown creasing his brow.

For the sake of the girl, he needed to keep this civil. He turned to the unwanted peasant. The young man returned his stare coldly, hostility barely hidden within dark eyes that were much like the girl's. That look from eyes so similar irritated the King, yet he plastered a benevolent smile on his face.

"And who might you be?" He inquired. "I recall inviting only the maiden."

The young man's jaw tightened. "I am her brother."

Oh, the King thought. A sense of relief flooded through him. This made things so much easier. "Do you have a name, young man?"

"Valeris." The word was spat out unwillingly, but the King paid no mind.

"And your lovely sister?" His eyes shifted to the vision of loveliness that stolen both his mind and his heart, yet she only looked at her brother, dependent on him to speak for them both.

A pregnant pause, while Valeris remembered that both he and his sister stood in the presence of the King. "Aveline."

". . .Aveline," the King repeated softly. He let it tumble through his mind a few times, tasting its flavour. Queen Aveline. A lovely name, he decided. It suited the girl. Smiling, he straightened his stance so that he faced them both directly.

"I am going to give both of you a gift," he proclaimed, giving a nod to the royal scribe to start writing this event down in the records. The girl started, her large eyes darting warily to his. Her brother frowned.

The King held out both his hands in a benevolent matter. "Young man, you are the head of your house?" When he received an uncertain nod in response, the King's smile only grew wider. "Then I shall give you the deed and title to the Vermont estate in the north. Henceforth, you shall be Lord and head of the Vermont estate, and all of its property and wealth shall be yours. I congratulate you, Lord Valeris."

All the blood drained from the young man's face. His mouth opened in what only could be speechless gratitude, but the King did not provide anything for him to speak. He had no desire to listen to Valeris' blubbers of thanks and praises of the King's kindness.

The King smiled at Aveline. "And you, my sweet dove. You shall become my Queen."

The girl stared. Blinked. Then her eyes grew wide. Her hands flew to her mouth as she emitted a little gasp. And just like her brother, she grew incredibly pale. For the first time, she spoke, "Y-your Grace. . .!"

To the King, the sound of her voice was even lovelier than he had imagined. Smooth and gentle with a touch of silk – it suited her. It made him want her even more. What a prize this one was! What a beautiful Queen she would make – she'd be the prettiest one in the land and all the other Kings would wish they'd found her first.

"What?!" The brother's voice broke into his reverie. Frowning, the King glanced over, wondering what the new Lord's problem was. Surely he couldn't be dissatisfied with all he had been given. After all, give a man enough gifts and he'd be a loyal servant for life. Whether it be money, women, slaves or power – every man had a price.