Chapter One

Actually getting out of bed is a challenge. You wake up and tiredness sweeps over you and, if it doesn't, you are abnormally superior to me. I rubbed my eyes and cleared them of the sleep that had formed in my sleep.

I stood up with great difficulty and pulled open my curtains. That was a mistake. The sun pierced my eyes and cleared my vision. I shielded my eyes with my arms and stumbled backwards. Thank god Phil didn't see that.

I managed to walk my way to the kitchen and have some cereal. I didn't spill the cereal or the milk. That was a good sign. I thought that the day would have gone well. How wrong I was.

When Phil got up we had a day like any other. We played video games, we recorded videos and I sat slumped on the sofa scrolling through the endless void the embodies the internet. That was when they called.

Phil's phone rung first and then mine joined the melody. I sat up properly and answered the call at the same time Phil did.

"Hello?" We said in unison.

"Zoe, Alfie, Kim, Hannah, Lewis, Simon, Joe, Duncan, Dan and Phil. Welcome to the choosing. You ride is at your front door now-"

The intercom buzzed.

"-Get in the car."

With that the caller hung up. Phil and I looked at each other. What would they do to us if we didn't get in the car? I went into the kitchen and got out my pocket knife. I slid it into my back pocket just in case we needed it.

Together me and Phil answered the door to see a man in a black striped suit with a white tie with red splotches on. He had an earphone in one ear. The man had a spot of red on the top of his head. I didn't ask, I didn't want to know. I looked over his shoulder to see the driver talking to someone on a headset.  Red spot man guided us to the back seats. He closed the door and sat in the front of the car where he was not visible. The car had a divider to separate the driver and the passengers, even the windows were blacked out.

I noticed that the divider was actually a screen. Were we watching a movie? What was going on?

I looked at Phil and could see him panic. I wasn't surprised. This was a dark room, blacked out windows and a TV screen. We were also being driven to an unknown destination.

I would have said something to Phil but I wouldn't have known what.

We arrived a couple of hours later. The screen was unused which made me wonder why they had it and what they used it for. The red spot man led us into this, large isn't the right word, magnificently gigantic house. We were taken to this long dark hall. The lights didn't even flicker. If I hadn't of seen the light switch just moments before I would have thought there wouldn't have been any. As far as I could tell there were no windows. No glow of light surrounding curtains or blinds just complete darkness.

"Welcome to the YouTuber games! Pairs will now be chosen."

The lights came to life and I saw eight other YouTubers lined up along the Hall. My mind raced to hunger games. Was this like that? Were we going to be taken away?

Little did I know I'd get my answer sooner than I'd hoped.

There was a screen on the wall we were facing. It lit up. There was a woman on the screen with long chocolate coloured hair and shining green eyes. She had popping pink lipstick on and a neon turquoise mascara.

In front of her was a glass fish bowl with white envelopes in it. She dipped her hand in and pulled out two. She pried them open with holographic nails and read aloud.

"Kim and Duncan." She said in a high pitched squeak.

She did this three more times before getting to my name.

"Dan," She said. It was the longest moment of my life. Would we still be Dan and Phil? Whatever this is it isn't good news. Will we die apart? A sad parted death? I suddenly missed the corridor in our flat that I could lie on.

"And..."