Chapter 3 - Don't Ask, Just Do

"Mila!" Chris called from Lauren's open window. "Open your window!"

The top of the younger brunette's head was barely shown, before she went under to step onto a pile of books to make herself taller. Chris held up his walkie talkie, signalling her to do the same.

"Can you hear me?" Camila's voice sounded through the radio.

"Unfortunately," The ten year old green eyes had rolled.

"How come we didn't know your room was across from Lauren's this entire time?" Chris laughed into the small device.

"I couldn't see over the window so how was I supposed to know?" Camila giggled innocently. "School was so much fun today. Thanks for sharing your candy with me Lauren!"

"Whatever," The girl groaned from her bed.

"She says you're welcome, Mila." Chris answered back into the device. "And she also says sorry for tripping you during class. Right Laur?"

"Nope. That was funny," She smiled smugly.

"Yea, she says she's sorry." Chris looked through the window once more, trying to make Camila feel better.

Chris and Camila continued talking, and Lauren couldn't do anything about it except leave her own room. It was the only one that looked back into the Cabello's home.

Her room's window led to part of the roof, which used to be her secret hide out when she got in trouble by her parents. The little Jauregui immediately resented the spot now that both Chris and Camila took over and bonded over it. Luckily, they were too good of goodie two-shoes that they never even tried hopping out of the window because of how dangerous it actually was.

Two months later during one summer night before the 6th grade, Lauren went back outside on her hiding place while the rest of her family was sleeping. She spent time drawing and looking up to the stars, enjoying her time in the old spot before getting interrupted by Camila's scolding and eventual lecture on how she could fall and break her limbs.

"How come your window is closed all the time now anyway?" Camila questioned, placing her head on her elbows that rested on the windowsill. She was finally starting her growth spurt, now being able to look through the glass without any help.

"Too bright." Lauren deadpanned.

"I could still see through the cracks, you and Chris are funny when you play Army men in your room." The other girl responded laughing. "Still pretending you guys are in the army.. Classic Jauregui's."

"Better than still sleeping with your stuffed animals." Lauren narrowed her eyes, "At least I have someone to play with. You only have your parents."

"Mom says I'm gonna be a big sister now that I'm ten." Camila raised an eyebrow. "I'm going to be a better sister than you."

"I'd like to see you try, you suck at playing Army men."

"I don't like you." Camila scolded, "You're so mean to me but you're nice to Alexa." She spoke of one of their classmates.

"That's because she's not a butthead like you are."

"I'm telling Chris you said that."

Lauren rolled her eyes at the fact that her neighbor always had to be a tattletale to her own brother. She hated when he had to be the one to figure things out in order for her and Camila to get along, but without him, she didn't know where they'd be.