Ch. 8 (PG-13, S): Sunday Family Time

Start from the beginning

Caroline: Pulling some bread slices in a bag out of her purse, she hands one to Trevor and one to Thomas. "Thomas, we like to feed the ducks."

Thomas: Thomas amusingly says. "Caroline is there anything that you don't have in your bag?" They both laugh as Caroline shrugs her shoulders sheepishly.

Trevor: "Yes, Daddy, we like feeding the ducks." Taking his bread slice from his Mommy, Trevor shows his Daddy what to do. "You break off little pieces of bread and then throw them into the pond for the ducks to nibble on."

Thomas: "Right. Let's see if the ducks come to us and eat our bread, shall we?

Trevor: "Oh they will, Daddy. They know us." Trevor bobs his head up and down excitedly and smiles confidently at his Daddy.

Thomas: "Ha ha ha ha haha ha!" Thomas rocks his head back in laughter

Caroline thinks that this is another family memory they are making. They spend a good fifteen minutes feeding and watching the ducks, with Trevor squealing in delight when the ducks eat each piece of bread. After four slices of bread are given to the ducks, they all walk back to the playground area near the park's entrance.

Caroline: "Thomas, Trevor likes to play on the slide and other playground equipment. But, he needs someone close by spotting him since he's still so young." Caroline smiles at Trevor and then at Thomas.

Thomas: "I can do that." Thomas revels in being the spotter for his son at the playground. Thomas may have missed out on Trevor's first three and a half years of life, but Thomas is not going miss any of the rest of it. Thomas smiles at Caroline and then at Trevor.

Trevor: "Come on Daddy, let's play." Trevor smiles [(3)] at his Mommy Caroline and then his Daddy Thomas.

Caroline sits on a nearby bench to watch them as she cradles her broken hand on her lap—resting her hand on an ice pak that she also retrieved from her bag. First Trevor climbs up the small four foot slide—with Thomas standing behind him—and then Trevor slides down. Then Trevor wants to 'hand walk' across—swinging really—the lower bars and Thomas spots him there. Then, Trevor climbs up the jungle jim tower and pretends he's in a ship's crow's nest. Thomas is standing nearby, watching Trevor carefully, ready to catch him if he falls. Finally, Trevor walks over the bridge of rope tethered planks that make the bridge swing when you walk on it, goes to the top of the big slide, and then he slides down—with Thomas catching him at the bottom.

Trevor: "Whoopee!" Trevor says gleefully.

Thomas: "Well, it looks like you had fun playing on all of the jungle jim."

Trevor: "Yes. But, I'm done now." Trevor says a bit sleepily walking over to his Mommy sitting on the bench. Caroline and Thomas smile at him.

Caroline: "Food and play always tucker him out." Looking at her watch and seeing that it's about 1:00pm, she says. "It's about time for Trevor's nap." She says smiling coyly at Thomas who is now sitting next to her.

Thomas: "Hmmm. That sounds like an excellent idea! " Thomas leans over and gives Caroline a lingering kiss, sucking on her lower lip a bit.

Trevor: Not noticing his parents temporary shift if focus from him--because little ones are only ever interested in themselves--Trevor acknowledges that he is tuckered out. "Yes, Mommy and Daddy. I'm getting tired." Trevor, then leans over into Thomas waiting arms. Thomas picks up the now very sleepy Trevor and carries him to their car, with Caroline walking beside them. Then, they drive back to Caroline's apartment--to their apartment.