1D: Zarry: The Boy Next Door

Summary: Harry has lived next door to Zayn for pretty much his whole life. Zayn is a year older though, so in when Zayn starts high school, Harry still in middle school, Zayn's friends say it's really uncool of him to hang out with Harry, so Zayn stops. 3 years later, Harry has just graduated from high school and Zayn is already out of school. At a neighbourhood barbecue, Harry and Zayn reconcile.
••••••
Harry's pov

Today the Malik's are having a barbecue for the whole block. I used to be best friends with Zayn Malik, but high school changes people. I can still remember that day clear as day.
"Zayn! Hey! What's up?" I ask as he stands on my door step.
"I can't hang out with you anymore Harry, it's not cool."
"What are you saying Zayn?" I ask.
"I can't be friends with someone like you. I'm in high school and you're in middle. I'm sorry."
That's all he ever said. Never explained why he really did it, cause 'I can't be friends with someone like you', is not an answer.
I was heartbroken at first, I really didn't have any other friends than him, so when he ditched me, it kinda made me a loner. Until I got into high school of course. That's where I met Niall (he moved here from Ireland which I thought was really cool), Louis, and Liam. They all know the story of Zayn and how I may have a tiny crush on him. I haven't spoken to him since that day so why I have a crush on him I don't know.
So anyway back to the barbecue.
"Mom, why do I have to go to this stupid thing?" I whine and she rolls her eyes.
"Harry, you're 18. Time to act like an adult. And if that means going to your ex best friends house for a barbecue than so be it."
"I don't know why you're complaining. Free food!" Niall laughs.
"Oh yea! And Niall's coming too, so you have to!" My mom laughs.
"It's too bad Lou and Liam couldn't come. 'We can't Harry! We're checking out colleges like responsible adults.'" I mock and Niall's nearly falling off the seat laughing. 
"You sounded just like Liam!!" He laughs trying to catch his breath.
"Anyway. Come on. If it's really that bad, we can just come home." Mom smiles grabbing a plate of brownies she made.
I sigh and we start to walk over to the house. We walk through the gate that leads to the backyard and people immediately start to greet us. Niall and I stand around talking to people, the elders asking about what college I want to go to and if I'm staying around here or not.
I answer all the questions before Niall pulls me away from them all.
"You said 5 minutes, that was literally 17. I counted." He sighs and I laugh.
"Sorry Niall." I laugh and we head over to the drink table.
•••••
"Mrs. Malik! So nice to see you again!" I smile.
"Harry? Oh my goodness look at you! You're so big now. What's it been a year?"
"3 actually."
"Oh. Why did you ever stop hanging out with Zayn? He never told me."
"I don't know really. Guess we just grew apart." I sigh.
"So who's this?" She asks gesturing to Niall.
"This is my friend Niall."
"Hello! You have a lovely home." Niall smiles and she thanks him.
"So is Zayn here? Or is he too cool for stuff like that?" Niall asks.
"Niall!" I mumble punching his arm.
"Yea! He's here. He's inside I think. I'll call him down!" She smiles before walking off to fetch him.
"You asshat! What the hell are you thinking?! I don't want to see him!" I whisper yell at him.
"I want to meet the douche bag that hurt my best friend! Is that so wrong?!"
"If he was my ex boyfriend no, ex best friend, yea kinda!"
"It'll be fine."
A few minutes later, a tall guy with dark hair and arms full of tattoos start walking our way.
I gulp and look at Niall angrily and he's grinning like a champ.
"You're Zayn?" Niall asks.
"Yes, and you are?" He asks.
"I'm Niall, and a few years back you did my best friend a great injustice."
"Niall..." I warn and he just rolls his eyes.
"You sir, are an idiot!" Niall huffs.
"Excuse me?!" Zayn asks.
"Niall!!" I say awkwardly.
"You sir, let probably the bestest friend in the world go! You show up, tell him you're bored with him, and left! You hurt Harry that day and I know all about it! So I'm not leaving until you tell me all about why you did it!" Niall states.
"I'm not going to tell you, why I did it. But I'll apologize to him, where is he?" Zayn asks looking around.
Niall eyes go wide and he gestures to me.
"Holy shit! Harry?!" Zayn gasps. I sigh and Niall rolls his eyes.
"Hi...Zayn." I say quietly looking down.
"Now tell him why you did it!" Niall commands poking Zayn's chest.
"Hey Niall look! Mini hotdogs!" I say pointing to the snack table.
"Where?!" He gasps heading towards the table.
I chuckle before looking back at Zayn.
"Sorry man. He's kinda protective over me." I laugh.
"Boyfriend?" He asks.
"No! Heavens no! Best friend." I chuckle a bit answering.
"He's right though. I never told you why I did that."
"Don't worry about it! You have your friends, I have mine, I'm over it. It's not that big of a deal." I sigh.
"Harry, I can't forget what I did. I can't forgive myself for it either. I can't even look at your house without feeling guilty!" Zayn sighs.
"Zayn, it's fine."
"No it's not. Come up to my room with me?" He asks and I look over at Niall who was currently chatting with some other teens before shrugging my shoulders and agreeing.
We head up to his room and I look around. Nothing has really changed. His sheets are no longer funky, just plain. His room isn't messy anymore, it's actually pretty tidy. But the one thing I find is how he still has pictures of us hanging out.
"Thought you would have thrown these away." I say sliding my hand over one of just the 2 of us.
"I couldn't bring myself to do it." He admits.
He taps my shoulder and I follow him to sit on the edge of his bed.
"Look Harry, it was really hard for me to just leave you. I cried a lot and really I just wanted to run back over to your house and hug you. The reason I did it was because when I got into high school, I met some guys, and they were cool! A lot of the same interests, except one, they thought that me hanging out with you was weird, and uncool. So they gave me the choice, hang out with you, or with them. And me being the idiot I was, I chose them. And I'm so sorry it's taken so long for me to tell you but you needed to know, and if Niall hadn't of been so damn stubborn, I likely wouldn't have ended up telling you this." He sighs and looks me in the eyes.
"You made me wait 3 years for that? Zayn, you should've just told me! I totally understand! Sure I'm still a little hurt but if you had just straight out told me, it would've hurt a lot less.  I've spent the first year trying to figure out what I did wrong, and even after that it still crossed my mind every once in a while." I explain and he relaxes a bit.
"I'm sorry Harry." He smiles slightly.
"I'm sorry too." I say back and he looks confused.
"Why are you sorry?"
"I should've either tried harder to get the answer, or introduced you to Niall 2 years ago when I met him!" I laugh and he chuckles.
We smile at each other for a few moments before Zayn does something that shocks me.
He pulls me into a tight hug.
"Will you be my best friend again?" He whispers in my ear.
"I don't know... you might have to fight Niall for that title. Then Liam and Louis." I reply and he looks saddened.
"I'm just kidding! Of course I'll be your best friend again." I smile and he rolls his eyes playfully.
"You're such a jokester Styles." He laughs.
"I find it helps me pick up guys." I smirk and he looks confused.
"You're gay?" Zayn asks.
"Yea. I thought it was pretty damn obvious." I chuckle awkwardly.
"So, you like dick?"
"That's what gay means right?" I sarcastically smirk.
"Thank god!" He says quickly before pulling me closer to him and attaching our lips.
I sit there in shock for a few moments before he starts kissing me harder, wrapping his arms around my waist. I then close my eyes and wrap my arms around his neck, pulling him closer to me. His tongue swipes my bottom lip and I open my mouth for him. Our tongues fight for dominance, which he wins. We break apart for a moment to catch our breath, our foreheads resting against each other's.
"I'm gay too." He pants.
"No shit!" I roll my eyes before kissing him again. He moves his mouth down to my neck and starts to suck a mark.
After a few minutes of panting and moans, he finishes and pecks my lips again.
"Mom works nights tonight, you're coming over." Zayn smirks before grabbing my hand and leading me to the mirror on his dresser. I look at the dark purple mark on my neck and gasp.
"Damn! Are you part vacuum?" I ask and he laughs.
I smack his arm and he turns me to look him in the eye.
"I don't want to fight Niall for the best friend slot, so is the boyfriend slot available?" He asks and I smile widely.
"Of course." I smile and peck his lips again.
"Come on. Food should be ready." Zayn says holding my hand.
"How am I gonna explain this mark on my neck?" I ask as we walk down the stairs.
"Just don't say anything."
We find Niall by the door table with a burger on his plate and a bored look on his face.
"There you are! I thought you ditched me!" He exclaims and I shake my head.
"Sorry Ni. We were talking."
"Look like you were doing more than just talking." Niall mumbles eyeing the large dark hickey on my neck.
"Holy shit Zayn! Take it easy on the boy!" Niall huffs looking at Zayn in disbelief.
Zayn just blushes before pulling me into his side, and kissing the top of my head.
"Sorry. Got carried away." Zayn smirks and I intertwine our fingers.
"I'm gonna take a wild guess and say you two are dating now?" Niall asks and we both nod.
"He didn't want to fight you guys for the best friend title." I explain and Niall rolls his eyes at how cheesy it is.
"Stop it before I puke." Niall laughs.
"Just take good care of him, got it?!" He huffs at Zayn and Zayn nods quickly before I burst out laughing.
He pulls me into a hug, giving me a few kisses as well.
"Stop! Too much sweetness I think I have diabetes now!" Niall groans covering his eyes.
I roll my eyes at him before pulling Zayn into another long kiss. This time when we break apart, the everyone at the party is looking at us and clapping.
I hide my face in Zayn's chest and he laughs wrapping his arms around me again. Finally, after 3 years, I have my best friend back.