Chapter 15

I go back to my parent's room and knock on the door. My mother opens it and says "when are you leaving?"

I say "in a few minutes, I came to say goodbye."

She opens the door wider, and I walk in.

My father says "Nova we're so proud of you. For everything you've done, and the person you've become."

I say "I'm a long way from done, dad. I'm not who I'm gonna be. This isn't who I'm gonna be. This isn't the last you'll hear of me, or the last you're gonna hear from me. I promise, this isn't the end."

Simone says "Nova? Why do you need to leave?"

I say "I just do, Sim."

She says "is it because Finn's gone?"

I say "Finn isn't gone, Sim. He's just dead."

She says "what do you mean?"

I say "just because he's dead, it doesn't mean that all traces of him are gone. In my heart, he's still alive. He's always gonna live on in here." I point to my heart. I say "until the day my heart stops beating."

My mother says "Nova, you can't live in denial. You've got to let him go."

I say "I'm not living in denial. I know he's dead. That's not denial."

She says "alright, but it's pointless to love someone who can't love you back. I'm sorry to say it but Finn is dead, Nova, and you need to move on."

I say "Finn won't be completely dead until everyone on the planet has forgotten about him. Which will never happen. Blaire will remember him, Ace will remember him. I'll remember him. For the rest of my life. I don't care if he's dead, I can't tell my heart how to feel. You don't think I've already tried that? I spent two weeks with my friends completely ignoring me because they were around the girl who stole the guy I love. I ran away because I couldn't take it anymore! Then I came back and Cleo killed Finn! Do you not understand how much I've been hurt within the past month and a half?! I lost Finn to the Battle Royale, then to Cleo, and now I've lost him for good! Do you not think that I would've tried to tell myself how to feel by now?! I'm still trying! It just doesn't work!" By this point, tears are falling out of my eyes.

My father says "just be careful of how much you attach to people, Nova. This is obviously destroying you."

I say "maybe that's why I can't love Rhett. Maybe because my heart's too afraid of getting hurt this bad again."

My mother says "maybe it is."

I say "it hurts... it hurts so bad. When does it stop hurting?"

She says "it never truly does."

I say "it's gonna hurt like this forever?"

She says "unless you stop loving Finn."

I say "then it's never gonna stop."

My father grabs my mother's arm and pulls her away. He quietly says to her "she's only fourteen, she doesn't even know what true love is yet. If losing one love hurts her this much imagine how bad it'd hurt losing someone that she loves once she learns what love really is."

She quietly says "I know but we can't control how she feels about things."

He says "if we don't watch out for her then she's going to get hurt and she'll be even worse than this."

I say "I can hear you."

They both look at me.

I say "I'm gonna go, my friends are waiting."

Sim hugs me and says "be careful, Nova."

I say "I will, Sim. I promise." I walk towards the door.

My mother says "Nova?"

I turn back to them.

She says "you have to come back someday. You have to save us. You have to save the rest of the people."

I say "I'll try."

She says "please. You have to save us. Not only from Dexter, but from Cleo too."

I nod and say "I'll stop her. And I'll stop Dexter, and anyone else who gets in my way. I'll stop them all."

I'll do it for Finn.

My mother hugs me and says "good luck Nova."

I hug her silently, tears streaming down my face.

My father hugs me and says "we love you, Nova."

I nod and say "I love you guys too. I'll be back someday."

They nod, and I walk out the door. I walk to the front door, where Blaire, Rhett, and Ace are standing.

Blaire says "I thought he wasn't coming?" She points to Rhett.

I say "the plan changed."

Ace says "well whatever the plan is, can we put it into action?"

I nod and say "okay, let's go."

Rhett opens the door and we all file out.

Ace says "we should go into a forest or something. Like we did when we were running from the Government the first time."

I nod and say "good idea."

Blaire says "let's get going."

I say "I've got this." I use my Aerokinesis to speed up the wind so we're lifted into the air, and we fly to a nearby forest.

Ace says "alright, Rhett and I can find some stuff for a fire, you girls go to sleep."

I telekinetically get some sticks, and I use my Pyrokinesis to make a fire in one hand.

Rhett says "that works too."

I put the sticks down and get some more, then I light them on fire.

Blaire says "alright, this should be good for now."

I nod and say "let me know if the fire dies, if someone wakes up and it's not going anymore."

They all nod, and we sit on the ground around the fire.

Blaire and Ace come and sit right next to me.

Ace says "how're you doing with this?"

I say "not good." Suddenly, something Finn said just earlier today rings through my head: I'm not gonna hurt you. I'm not gonna disappear, and I'm not gonna die. I promise. Tears start falling from my eyes and I quietly say "he promised me... he promised me he wasn't going to die."

Blaire says "don't cry, Nova. It's gonna be alright. I know he's gone, but we're gonna beat Dexter and Cleo for him."

Ace says "yeah Nova, stay strong. Do it for Finn."

I nod, wipe my eyes, and say "for Finn."

Had it really only been a couple of hours since he died?

Ace says "alright, everyone should probably get some sleep."

I nod and say "good idea." I get up and walk to a nearby tree. I sit against the trunk and lean back. I close my eyes, and someone sits beside me. I open my eyes a little, and it was Rhett. He grabs my hand and quietly says "I love you, Nova. No matter how you feel."

I'm already half-asleep at this point. I'm so tired and my eyes are closed. I can't even respond. I feel my head fall onto his shoulder, and I fall asleep.

�������n�~���