Chapter Four | Silver Eyes

Start from the beginning

He chuckled. "Ah, I see."

Anna was now looking towards us openly, raising her hand to wave at my Father innocently. 

He ignored her purposefully and instead turned to me. "Calm yourself sweetheart. I am used to her antic's. It does not bother me."

I watched stonily as Anna began to advance through the dance floor towards us, her annoyance at being ignored obvious on her pretty face. 

"It should bother you," I said softly. "You deserve so much better. If you would just-

"We have a family together Circe," My Father's voice was quiet, yet firm and left no room for negotiation, "I will not abandon my family." 

I fell silent, knowing that he was no longer talking about Anna. 

"I know," I sighed, "but still. You're too good, Father." 

"Jacob, darling, is everything all right?" 

Her voice was cloyingly innocent and I inhaled deeply through my nose, determined not to let her get to me. 

Father sighed, running a hand through his dark hair, looking fleetingly at his wife. "Yes, of course Anna, I'm just having a discussion with Circe. Go and continue dancing. You looked like you were enjoying yourself." 

His insinuation was rather obvious, but Anna was unable to refute it, least it look as though she knew what he was talking about. The fake smile on her face faltered slightly, and then lifted back up again valiantly. 

"Alright," she chirped, turning to go. 

"Wait, Annabeth." 

We both glanced at him curiously, but to my surprise he was looking at me, his blue eyes twinkling. He paused, and then turned back to his wife with an amused expression.

She was looking at him expectantly. "Yes?"

"Aren't you going to wish Circe a Happy Birthday?" He asked, speaking slowly, as if it should have been obvious. 

Anna glanced at me stiffly and then abruptly deflated into a parade of smiles. "Why of course," she crooned, "I beg your pardon my dear, you were just so busy earlier and I had no time to see you amidst all of your ... suitors." She tittered lightly behind her hand. "Happy Birthday sweetheart." 

"Thank-you Annabeth," I replied politely, point blank refusing to call her anything else. "Your apology is accepted," I smiled sweetly, "likewise, I could see that you were very busy. You had best get back now, I'm sure there are people waiting for you." 

Her lip twitched, but her smile held as turned swiftly, and hurried back down the stairs into the rest of the room. We watched in amusement as she grabbed the nearest glass of wine from a passing waiter, downing it swiftly. 

"She'll be drunk by midnight." Father predicted, a large grin on his face.

"Nonsense," I announced, turning to grin evilly at him. "She's already had an entire bottle of wine. She'll be drunk in another ten minutes. She'll be passed out by midnight." 

Father let out a bark of laughter, sliding down into the chair beside me. He turned to take both of my hands in his own. "Are you having a good time?" he asked worriedly.

"I'm having a fantastic time." I replied, smiling as he did. 

"Good," he said, reaching out to tuck an invisible strand of hair behind my ear. "You look so beautiful Circe, I knew the dress would suit you as it did your Mother. Do you like it?"