Chapter Fifty-Nine

Start from the beginning

I opened my mouth to speak but he pre-empted me, "I know, darling, I'm incorrigible!"

"Yes you are," I kissed him, "and also adorable and completely lovable."

---

"Break a leg Tommy." Emma and Diana each gave Tom a warm hug and their best wishes for opening night.

"Break a leg sweetheart." I kissed his cheek as he ran his hand through his hair, suffering from his usual pre-performance nerves. "You'll be wonderful and so will everyone else."

"Thank you love."

"We'll see you backstage afterwards. I'll be the heffalump in purple."

"And you'll be the most beautiful heffalump ever my darling."

"I've told you before Hiddles, you know just the right things to say!" Everyone smiled at that and he put his arms around me to give me a proper kiss before leaving for the theatre.

"I'll put the kettle on, shall I?" Emma asked.

"That would be wonderful Em. I've got to go pee – again!" The other two just laughed.

"Don't forget we're shopping for a pram tomorrow Kate." Diana reminded me once I was back in the kitchen. Tom's family had insisted on buying us the pram as a baby gift. "Have you picked out which one you want?"

"I've seen a Bugaboo one that's a three-in-one so will be good as baby gets older, the bassinet and seat are both reversible and it's compatible with car seats."

"That sounds very suitable. Where will we find those?"

"Peter Jones in Sloane Square."

"Perfect. We can browse around for other bits and pieces while we're there."

A couple of hours later we were getting ready for the evening as our friends began arriving; Max and Nick were first, followed soon after by Davey and James. Mike and Abby showed up fifteen minutes later and shortly after that Ben and Sophie completed the group. We were a merry bunch as we headed out to the maxi cab I had ordered to take us to the Gin Joint, a restaurant only a few minutes walk from the Barbican Centre where Tom's play was showing.

As we walked out to the taxi I felt a strong twinge in my lower abdomen. I had been experiencing mild Braxton-Hicks contractions off and on for a few weeks, usually a painless tightening that lasted around thirty seconds; this was a little different, although not truly painful.

"Katie? Are you okay?" Davey was just behind me and saw me put my hand to my stomach.

I smiled in reassurance. "I'm fine Davey, just a twinge. Baby Hiddles is awake and active."

"A child of Tom's being active? Sooo difficult to imagine!" His grin almost split his face in two and I returned it with one of my own as he put his arm around my waist and helped me in to the vehicle.

Thankfully the restaurant had given us a fairly private table, as dinner was a rowdy affair; everyone was in high spirits and although there wasn't much alcohol being consumed at all, you could be forgiven for thinking there was. Upbeat conversations and full belly laughter ebbed around me as I sat in my own little bubble, lost in thoughts of Tom and Baby Hiddles.

"How are you doing?" Sophie's smiling face swam into my vision and pulled me out of my trance.

"I'm good, thanks Sophie."

"You've got that introspective look about you that I remember well," she said, smiling gently at me. "When are you due?"

"End of November, so eight weeks to go." I patted my tummy softly. "Mind you, if it's anything like its father, due dates will mean nothing; I swear without Luke and me, Tom would never arrive at anything on time!"