Chapter Forty-Eight

"It's not my fault! It's not as if I do it on purpose!"

"That's not what I'm saying!"

"Then what are you saying Kate? Please, enlighten me. I can't wait to hear your insightful discourse on the finer details of how my job works!"

I narrowed my eyes at him. "Sarcasm is the lowest form of wit."

His nostrils flared and his eyes were a storm gathering over the ocean. "Thank you so much for your unwavering support and encouragement." As a horn tooted outside he gathered his things. "I'll see you tonight." I merely snorted and Tom's lips thinned into an angry line. He slammed the door closed behind him without so much as a goodbye.

"Oh that's very mature!" I called after him, stifling a scream of frustration and clenching my hands into fists to stop myself from picking something up and throwing it. An hour and two cups of tea later my frustration turned to misery at the thought of our first fight – and I knew exactly what had triggered it.

He was stressed at work and I was bored and lonely.

It wasn't just the long hours Tom had to put in regularly; I missed my friends and family too. I missed Max's irreverence and Davey's humour and support. I missed my circle of friends, small though it might be; I really just missed daily contact with other humans. Any enjoyment of my own company was definitely beginning to wane.

I sighed and picked up my phone to send Tom a text.

Kate: I'm sorry darling. I love you xx

As I hit 'Send' the phone began to ring.

"Hi Cass, what's up?"

"Kate, are you doing anything today?"

"Other than drowning in self pity, not much."

"Good, I've got the perfect solution. Can you meet me at UCLA in an hour?"

"Sure. Is anything wrong?"

"I'll tell you all about it when I see you. We're in the School of Engineering and Applied Science building – I'll text you the map. They'll tell you at the front desk where my office is."

"Okay, see you in an hour."

I made an effort to look nice, pleased to have a reason to wear something other than shorts and t-shirt for a change, and made the five mile drive in no time, arriving early. Figuring Cass wouldn't mind, I found the front desk and asked for her.

"Dr Wilson's office is down this corridor, turn right at the end, third door on your left."

"Thank you."

When I knocked on the door Cass looked up from a huge pile of paperwork. "Kate! Thank god!" She rose from her chair and came to give me a hug. "Have a seat." Once we were settled, Cass launched her surprise. "Kate, how would you like a job teaching here a couple of days a week?"

"W-what?"

"One of my colleagues suffered a mild heart attack last night. He's okay," she waved her hand at my shocked look, "but we've now got two undergrad classes without a lecturer and I think you would be the perfect person to do it."

"Cass, I've got no teaching experience!"

"I know, I know. But you've presented papers before; plus, you've probably mentored interns haven't you?"

"Yes."

"Well then. The Spring Quarter just started; instruction begins tomorrow. It's two classes – introduction to computer graphics and computer animation, both four hour lectures and I know you could do this stuff in your sleep."