Chapter Fifty

"To Kate!" "To Katie!" "Aunty Kate!"

We were dining at Fritto Misto, a small, family-owned Italian restaurant where we'd been warmly welcomed by the owner before being shown to our table. It had a no-frills ambience but Cass had recommended it for being family friendly with fabulous food, and it had certainly lived up to that. Our appetisers and mains had been truly delicious and now as we waited for our desserts, Tom had proposed a birthday toast.

I had been stuck in my own head ever since seeing the results on the test sticks. Sitting there on the bed with Abby's arm around me, staring at the devices that had just changed my life, I'd been completely unable to give words to the emotions boiling and swirling inside. It had taken some time before I felt able to leave the room and act normally in front of Mike and the kids; even more difficult when Tom arrived home, cheerful and bristling with energy, so keen to make my birthday a special occasion. I loved him dearly for his fervour and had done my best to smile and join in the lively conversation, when in reality I just wanted to be alone to think.

To think about how I felt.

I'd always planned on having children, definitely, but it was on a 'one day in a far-off future' kind of basis; now it had been given a finite timeline, now there was no turning back. It was happening so soon – we'd barely been married two months – and I wasn't sure I was ready. I so wanted to be sure; wanted my own feelings to be sorted before I told Tom, knowing that any lack of enthusiasm on my part would cast a shadow on his own happiness and I love him too much to do that to him.

"Aunty Kate?" Molly's voice interrupted my reverie. "You haven't had your special drink. Don't you like it?"

Trust Molly to notice I hadn't touched my wine; I exchanged a quick glance with Abby before seeing Tom's worried frown as he looked at my full glass, then at my face.

"Darling? Are you feeling alright?"

"I'm fine, it's just ... I ... I have a slight headache and I ... didn't want the alcohol to aggravate it," I prevaricated, relieved when his face cleared and he got up to get me a glass of mineral water to replace the wine.

"You should have said something sweetheart," he kissed my forehead tenderly. "Do you need anything for it?"

"No, I'm sure it will be better shortly." I touched my fingers to his face; he put his own hand over mine and kissed my palm and the gold ring on his third finger caught my gaze, immediately taking my thoughts back to our wedding day and Tom waiting for me at the end of the aisle, tears in his eyes, his face shining with love. I recalled the words of the vows we made to each other and suddenly felt a shift in my chest, as though a jigsaw piece had slotted into its rightful place. Peace and acceptance washed over me. It may be sooner than we had planned, but I had Tom at my side and together we could take on anything Fate threw at us, even parenthood.

---

"What are we going to see first tomorrow?" Mike asked Molly and Matt once everyone arrived back at the house. The two children started bouncing with excitement, talking about all the things they wanted to see and do at Disneyland the next day. "We can't fit everything into just one day, guys, you have to pick your favourites."

That was when Tom told us his surprise. Not only had he arranged for early entry an hour before the park opened and an escort by a staff member who would give instant access to rides and attractions without having to wait in queues, as well as character meets for the children – Anna and Elsa from Frozen for Molly and Captain America for Matt; he had also booked accommodation to stay the following night in a themed Signature Suite at the Disneyland Hotel so they could have two full days at the park.