Chapter 16: Making Every Second Last

A/N: I do not own Soul Eater or any characters mentioned in this story.

Luna POV

My heart just broke. My grip on Kid's hand fell limp. Papa just said I had to leave Death City! But, I don't wanna leave! Death City is my home, I love it here! I love everyone in it, I love the surroundings, I love my family! I can't just leave that all behind!

As I thought about this more and more I felt tears build up. Finally I broke down, right then and there. Tears streamed down my face. Kid grabbed me and hugged me tight. I could feel him trembling, which meant he was crying too, because he always trembled when he cried. I just cried into his shirt, and he cried into mine. I guess Stein heard us, because all of a sudden I heard his voice from above me.

"Kid! Luna! When did you get here?!" He said shocked. Kid and I turned around and looked up. Stein was standing in front of us, an astonished expression on his face.

Stein POV
I turned the corner to see Kid and Luna balling their eyes out and holding each other tight. They both looked up at me. Their faces were completely tearstained and their cheeks were flushed. I pulled them close and picked them both up. When Lord Death noticed who I was carrying, I could tell his heart had just broken. I gave them to him and they just gripped him tight.

"Papa I don't wanna leave!" Luna cried out.
"I know and I don't want you to leave either, but it will keep you and all of Death City safe..." Lord Death said, his voice trembling.
This went on for a while until eventually they had cried themselves out and fell asleep. Luna was still whimpering a little but Kid was fast asleep. I took him and went to the infirmary to wash his tearstained face.

When we arrived he was still sleeping. I grabbed a cloth and wet it with lukewarm water. I cradled him like I used to and gently washed his face. Afterwards he woke up. He just stared up at me. His beautiful golden hues which were usually bright and happy were now sad and dull. They had even lost their shine. I pulled him up to my shoulder and just rubbed his back and caressed his hair. He held my coat tight and buried his face in my shoulder.

I thought about the decision Lord Death had made. the whole situation played back over and over in my head.

"I hate to say it, but I think she will have to leave Death City."

These sad words echoed in my mind. Luna would have to live with me, since I'm the only one Lord Death trusts to handle her who lives outside Death City. But this would mean I couldn't return to the academy either. However this was not about me, this was about Luna and keeping Death City safe. As I thought about this Kid looked up at me. His eyes were still sad and dull.

"What's up Kiddo?" I asked him softly.
"W-will Luna ever c-come back?" he asked me, his voice trembling.
"Of course she will Kiddo! She won't be away forever. Just enough until it's safe to come back to Death City."
"How long will that t-take?" he asked me. I was afraid he would ask this. Kishin may be scared of pain and defeat, but they're still very determined creatures. Mainly because of the anger and hatred that dwells within them.
"I... I don't really know, but it won't be forever. I promise." That seemed to make him feel a little better, but not much.

We walked back to the Death Room, Kid on my shoulders, to find that Lord Death was still there, a sad Luna sitting down next to him. I put Kid down and he ran to her, helped her up, and hugged her.

"Lord Death, when should Luna........" I asked him. I didn't it was necessary to finish that sentence.
"In a couple days. I don't want to risk the Kishin finding our souls because we procrastinated." He said, looking at Kid and Luna. Afterwards the 3 of them went home.

Kid POV
I had never felt so bad in my whole life. My sister had to leave Death City. Stein said it wouldn't be forever, but I knew that's what it would feel like. No one else in the world made me feel as happy as I do when I'm with Luna. Papa said we had a few weeks before she had to leave, so I wanted to make every remaining second count. On the way home, Luna and I were hand in hand. Once we were in our room, we climbed onto my bed and just sat together. A few minutes later, Papa walked in with a black bag for Luna to put her stuff in. He said it would just be easier if it was done ahead of time so she wouldn't have to worry about it. I helped her pack.

We packed all her black suits and and skirts, along with her one extra pair of black shoes. Then I remembered I had gotten her something for her birthday, even though it was a month early. When she was looking for her jacket, I quickly reached under my bed and grabbed a small rectangular box wrapped in shiny black paper and stuck on a note which read, "Happy Birthday Lu ♥ from Kiddo-Kun" and slipped it into the bottom of her bag. It was something I had seen in a store window months before. I had saved my money for 8 months just to buy it. I just knew she would love it.

When she had finished she sat down and looked around our room. I knew what she was thinking about. We had shared so many memories together in this room. On beautiful summer nights we would sneak up to the roof with a blanket and look at the stars above. This gave me an idea.

Later that night when Luna had fallen asleep, I snuck into the kitchen and grabbed a bunch of stuff for what I was planning. Then I went back to the bedroom.

"Lu, Lu wake up! Come with me, I wanna show you something." I whispered.

Luna POV
"Lu, Lu wake up! Come with me, I wanna show you something." Kid whispered with a smile on his face. I sat up, rubbed my eyes, and followed him as he took my hand and led me somewhere.

"Kiddo, where are we going?" I asked him curiously.
He just looked at me and smiled. Soon he was leading me up onto the roof. When I got to the top, my heart skipped a beat.

A blanket laid flat with balloons tied to rocks at the corners. There was a tall white candle in the center, with 2 plates and cups directly across from each other. A small basket sat next to the blanket. I put my hands to my mouth, shocked at what I saw.

"Kid! did, did you do all this?" I asked him astonished.
"He just grinned and lead me to the blanket. We both sat down and he poured juice into the cups, and put a cupcake on our plates. When we finished he put the plates and cups aside, blew out the candle and moved that to the side as well. Then we just laid down together. We stared up at the stars as we held each other's hands.

"Kid, what did you do all this for?" I asked him, still smiling.
"Because this would be one of our last nights together, so I wanted to make it special. But there' one more thing I wanted to do." He then reached into the basket and pulled out a camera. He faced it towards us, and we both smiled. Then we started taking more pictures. Some of the pictures were where he laid his head on top of mine, he held me in his arms with my hands around his shoulders, he put me on his shoulders, and in the last one we took, he kissed my cheek. That was my favorite one.

After a little while we laid back down and pulled the blanket over us. We ended up falling asleep up there like that. But we slept happy.

Lord Death POV

I walked into Kid and Luna's room to check on them, but they weren't there. I checked the roof because they were always sneaking up there at night. Their giggles aren't exactly as quiet as they think. When I got up there, I saw them snuggled together under a blanket with balloons around them. A blown out candle and a small basket sat beside them. On top of the basket was a camera. I walked over, picked up the camera, and looked at the pictures. They were pictures of them together. Some were Kid holding Luna, some were of Luna was putting frosting on Kid's nose, and the cutest one, Kid kissing Luna's cheek. I walked in front them and took a picture of them sleeping together.