Chapter 35: Carina

Start from the beginning

"I've wanted to do this for so long. Every picture I got of you made my hands itch with want," Matteo says as he continues to rub my round tummy. His eyes don't move from it as I remain silent. "You scared me when you disappeared Carina. I felt myself – I just didn't want anything bad to happen to you or our children," he says softly. My heart clenches at his confession. This was the Matteo I fell in love with, but I'm not sure if what happened between us can ever be fixed. "My cousin Michael retired from the U.N. but he still has a few connections there. He and Luca were the only people I knew that I could trust to find you and keep me posted," he continues and I remain speechless. I feel a kick and Matteo perks up with excitement. "Hey little buddies! I'm your daddy," he says in a soft voice. Four more kicks are given and I know they are responding to Matteo's voice making tears mist my eyes at the moment. He lifts my shirt and kisses my tummy twice. "Daddy loves mommy and you two so much," he say before giving my stomach another kiss and pulling my shirt back down. I wipe the tears off my face and scoot back to where I was sitting. Don't get sucked back in Carina. Be strong. I hear Matteo sigh and then the car door slams. Tears begin to roll down my cheeks and Jolie gets in the back seat next to me. I cry the entire way home from my encounter with Matteo. One thing is for sure, I still love him with every bone and nerve in my body.

***
I look at myself in the mirror. I'm wearing a strapless dark blue satin gown. I have spent these past week making mine, Angela, and Dylan's dresses out of the fabric I have here at home. The dress is very comfortable around my legs and it doesn't suffocate my stomach thank God. I didn't really swell up from the pregnancy so the only thing that really stands out is my protruding belly. My hair is in deep waves and my makeup is natural looking aside from the gold eyeshadow and soft nude lips. After I came home Jolie fixed me some tea, and I went to sleep. I was emotionally and mentally exhausted after my encounter with Matteo and it left me even more confused. Matteo still loves me, but I don't know what that means for us. I do love and miss him, but I'm scared of what he'll do if he knew that. He's burned me once before. Can I risk being burned again? I grab my gold sandals and walk to Angela's room. She was in a ball of nerves when I was doing her hair and makeup, but hopefully she's calmed down by now. I knock on the door and Dylan opens it standing in her thin cream colored slip. I made her a simple sleeveless A-line cream colored dress with a sheer golden overlay. I sewed some leftover jewels, from the dress I made Sophia for the Christmas party, onto the belt of the dress because she wanted to look like a princess.

"Dylan lets get you dressed sweetie. We leave in a little bit," I say coming into the room. She runs over to the clothes rack that has her dress hanging. "Has mommy done your hair," I ask looking at her frizzy hair.

"Not yet," she says swaying.

"Well then Auntie Carina will. Mommy is very nervous about tonight," I say softly to her. Angela always moves extra slow when she has something on her mind. I grab the spray bottle from the vanity and spray her long dirty blonde locks. Angela keeps warm water and coconut oil in the bottle for her hair because it gets tangled when it's humid. I decide to give Dylan a braided top knot and place the jeweled hair tie around it. Once I'm finished I grab her dress and begin to put her in it. The dress stops above her knees so Angela bought her a pair of gold ballerina flats to wear. She looks so adorable and won't stop looking at herself twirl in the mirror when I finished dressing her. Angela steps out of the bathroom and smiles once she sees Dylan.

"Thanks Cara. I'm so nervous," she says putting her feet into a pair of dark green sandal heels. Angela is wearing a dark green strapless gown. I made wrapping layover patterns with the soft fabric at the top and belted it with a thin gold chain at her ribs and it flows down like water. I made sure that the back is cut in a V since the dress has a train and some volume. It looks great on her. Her hair is parted on the side and in neat old Hollywood curls. She didn't want her makeup too extravagant so I just bronzed and highlighted her like crazy. If Brandon does run into her tonight he'll be speechless. I hand Angela my shoes and she begins putting them on my feet.